Are the URL parameters case sensitive?

10-16-2012 12:17 PM
MichaelWestmoreland1
New Contributor II
noob getting up to speed. We're running ArcGIS version 10 Enterprise server and .Net.
I created a service from an .msd file.  I want to add it to ArcGIS.com.
The url appears to be case sensitive.  Would someone confirm this yes or no?

My Map -> Add -> Add layer from web -> URL: field

Mixed case this works.
servername.domain.org/ArcGIS/rest/services/ServiceName/FeatureServer/0

Lower case it don't. Throws two errs, one - can't connect, two - layer can't be added.
servername.domain.org/arcgis/rest/services/servicename/featureserver/0

A colleague tells me you have to add FeatureServer/0 at the end of the URL.
What's this do?

And I can't see everything that's in the URL field the end of it's truncated.  When I click in the box the text disappears.
So what's the complete line in the URL field?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
In general terms, the URLs are case sensitive. In reality, some part of the URL are not case sensitive, but I think it's easier just to think that it is case sensitive.

As far as the /0 at the end...this indicates a particular layer. As feature services can have multiple layers in them, you can specify an index to get a particular one. If you don't specify the index, you get them all added to the web map.

thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelWestmoreland1
New Contributor II
In general terms, the URLs are case sensitive. In reality, some part of the URL are not case sensitive, but I think it's easier just to think that it is case sensitive.

As far as the /0 at the end...this indicates a particular layer. As feature services can have multiple layers in them, you can specify an index to get a particular one. If you don't specify the index, you get them all added to the web map.

thanks,

Mike

Ok thanks, guess there's a nix server on the backend.
0 Kudos