ArcMap 10.5.1 won't open after splash screen

02-02-2018 12:07 PM
Brian_AlexanderChalfant
New Contributor II

I've got ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1 installed on a PC running 64-bit Windows 7.  When I go to open ArcMap - whether from the exe file, an exe shortcut, or an existing project file - the splash screen appears for some seconds, but then the program doesn't open.  I can open some other ArcGIS components (e.g., ArcCatalog, ArcReader) no problem, but others (e.g., ArcScene, ArcGlobe... the "viewer" applications?) act the same as ArcMap:  splash, then nothing.  I tried deleting the normal.mxt file, to no avail.  Any ideas on what's going on and how to fix it will be much appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you know if the graphics card meets the software requirements?

Brian_AlexanderChalfant
New Contributor II

I think so?

My graphics card is an AMD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 and - according to its ostensible specs (ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 specs (Meet Gadget)) - it seems to meet the system requirements for ArcGIS Desktop (ArcGIS Desktop 10.6 system requirements—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop... these are requirements for ArcGIS 10.6, not 10.5, but it seems to meet even the requirements for 10.6)... at least it does for RAM (512 MB)... I honestly don't know what the other video/graphics adapter system requirements (24-bit capable accelerator; OpenGL 2.0 and Shader Model 3.0) mean or how to check if my card meets those requirements.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Try holding Shift + right-click on ArcMap's exe > Run As Administrator to see if it opens.

Brian_AlexanderChalfant
New Contributor II

no dice : \

0 Kudos
Brian_AlexanderChalfant
New Contributor II

I updated to 10.6 and now no issues...

DrewDowling
Occasional Contributor III

I had this exact same problem after upgrading from 10.3.1 to 10.5.1. For me it was also a graphics adapter problem. In my case, somebody had installed both an NVIDIA display adapter/driver and an Intel graphics driver. I checked the Display adapter being used in the Device manager and saw that it was the Intel Graphics driver so I uninstalled the NVIDIA stuff and ArcMap successfully loaded.