ArcGIS Online - Refresh Interval for Joined Feature

03-28-2020 03:41 PM
IsaiahFreedman
New Contributor

I am trying to make a map that uses two elements. The first is a shapefile that I created offline and uploaded to my map. The second is a CSV file found online that updates daily with new information. I joined them using Perform Analysis so the shapefile shows the data from the CSV. I set a refresh interval on the CSV file so it updates as the new information, but the new information does not show up on the joined feature. If I open the attribute table on the CSV, I can see the new updated information, but this does not transfer to the joined feature. Is there a way to make the joined feature update as well?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SarahAmbrose
Esri Contributor

Hey Isaiah Freedman‌,

There are two ways you can join features in ArcGIS Online using the Join Features tool:

1. Creating a new layer result. This is the default. The new layer doesn't update based on changes in the input.
  2. Creating a hosted layer view. This option is only for joins based on attribute values, and is picked by selecting this option. You must also be the owner of the layer.

If you are trying 1 - that won't work for you case - since it doesn't ever update. For 2, I'll have to reach out to someone else that knows more about the hosted view to ensure it works for CSV inputs - is that what you're currently trying? 

Please let me know!

Sarah Ambrose

Product Engineer, Esri

0 Kudos
ThomasRutterford
New Contributor

Hey Sarah Ambrose,

what was the outcome of your search I am trying to carry out something similar (number 2 on your list) and the issue appears to be that I do not own the layer.

The CSV file updates itself with the refresh interval but the layer it is joined to does not update with this new information.

Is it possible to own the layer if it is from an external rest api where the csv is downloaded from? Or is it possible to add a csv file to the content page via a url?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
SarahAmbrose
Esri Contributor

Hey Thomas Rutterford - you'll need to be the owner of both layers. See the documentation here: Join Features—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation. Also make sure you are publishing the CSV as a hosted layer. 

If that doesn't solve or clarify, please reach out to Esri technical support. They will be able to do a screen share and quickly troubleshoot the issue. 

0 Kudos