ArcGIS Online - PDF Hyperlinks

07-09-2019 06:06 AM
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have a question regarding document access outside a local network.

I've created an application for our engineers that features their sanitary pipe network.  Each of these pipe segments has an associated PDF hyperlink (More Info).  When the user clicks on the pipe inside AGO, the PDF is served up via a virtual directory on our web server.  This works great while the machine is within the confines of our local network.

However, I would like to give my engineers the added ability for accessing these same PDF's while they are out in the field and not connected to our local network.  I've created other applications that work outside our network by storing all layers as hosted feature services but this particular wrinkle has me a little stumped for accessing hyperlinked documents.

Is this possible?  If so, how have you been successful in making this a reality.

Thank you.

Jeff

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

You will need to copy the PDF's over to their mobile devices.  

You can convert the pdf's to pngs and put them in a database

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Could you store these PDFs as attachments to the pipe segments themselves? Assuming that the layer is a hosted layer.

Alternatively, you could upload the PDFs to AGOL and somehow reference them from the pipe segments.

Hope this helps,

Mike

0 Kudos
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

I was hoping there would be a way to maintain the association that's been established in the attribute table between the individual PDF documents and their corresponding pipe segments.  Is that not possible?

Do you have a workflow that charts out referencing PDF's to specific features after uploading the PDF's to AGOL?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Mike,

Is there a way to upload multiple files (PDF's) to AGOL in one go. I have multiple PDF reports which need to be hyperlinked to the hosted feature class. Also if you have any information on how to reference them back to the hosted feature class please let me know. 

I do agree storing PDF's as attachments is one way to do it, but we are also trying to access PDF as hyperlinks.

Thanks,

Ajinkya

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Ajinkya,

As far as I know, there isn't a way via the UX to add multiple PDFs at once to AGOL as items. 

Mike

0 Kudos