Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Online - no option to add photo in field-based mapping apps (Collector, Field Maps)

12-08-2022 05:29 PM
Labels (2)
GrahamUssher
New Contributor

Hi there. Has anyone else found that they're unable to add photos to a feature in a new feature layer recently when using field mapping software (Collector, Field Maps)? The "add photo" button used to be enabled by default so that for every new feature we could add one or more photos. Now it is not. 

As of November 2022, my colleagues and I lost the option to "add photo" when collecting data in the field. This occurs for both field mapping software that we use: Field Maps and Collector. The button to "add photo" is simply not there anymore. 

The "add photo" button has been there by default ever since we started using ArcGIS Online (and Collector and Field Maps) years ago. I'm not sure if it was a software update, or what, but it's quite an annoying change as we capture a lot of photos out in the field! 

The solution we've found is to toggle the "enable attachments" button in ArcGIS Online for every new feature layer we create before we create an offline map for our iPads, but this is not ideal because: 

• We create about 1,000-1,500 new feature layers per year, which all adds up timewise
  • If we forget to toggle "enable attachments" before creating an offline map, we don't have the ability to capture photos in the field

Does anyone know if there is a setting I can change so that the "add photo" button for new features is automatically enabled in Field Maps and Collector by default? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

If you enable attachments on the feature class and add to a map in Field Maps, the "Take Photo" or "Attach" buttons should be there at the top for each new feature.

For existing features, you will need to select "Edit" on the feature for it to show the "Take Photo" or "Attach" buttons.

RhettZufelt_0-1670877028913.png

R_

JohnCodd
New Contributor III

@GrahamUssher  Did @RhettZufelt  answer your question?  Did his reply work for you?

Thanks.

John Codd
0 Kudos