ArcGIS Online is not retaining the aliases of my pop-ups.

525
7
04-27-2020 06:53 AM
SuzanneWade1
New Contributor II

Recently, I have not been able to have ArcGIS Online retain the aliases of my pop-ups. I configure the pop-ups in Arcpro as I have always done, but when I check the pop-ups online--they are using the field name. I go to the visualization tab online and the aliases display in the pop-up. I have screen shots--this has only just happened in the last few weeks. Thanks for any assistance.

screenshots of problem

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Katherine_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Suzanne,

First off, just a tip about posting to Geonet, you don't need to write that much text in the title of the question. There is a character limit, so your text will get cut off, which is what happened here. Just use the title as a general synopsis of what your question is about (in this case, something like "Field Alias not being retained after publishing to ArcGIS Online") and then put more details about the situation in the body of the question.

Even with the text cut off, I think I can understand what you're getting at. So the pop-up is showing correctly with field aliases used when you look at the visualization tab through the Item Details page, but not when you view the pop-up in a specific web map? 

0 Kudos
SuzanneWade1
New Contributor II

Thank you Katherine--I  have edited it  Yes, I have not been able to have ArcGIS Online retain the aliases of my pop-ups. I configure the pop-ups in Arcpro as I have always done, but when I check the pop-ups online--they are using the field name. I go to the visualization tab online and the aliases display in the pop-up just fine.  Thanks for any assistance.

0 Kudos
Katherine_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

That does seem a bit strange. So, after confirming that when you go to the pop-up configuration settings under visualization, it shows the correct Alias here, and the layer configurations have been saved....

Can you try adding the layer to a new web map and see if the aliases will display in the pop-up?

0 Kudos
SuzanneWade1
New Contributor II

Yes--I've done these web maps for a couple of years and have not had this problem before. If I configure the pop-ups in Arc Pro and then share the Web Map, previously, the aliases all remained in maps' pop-ups and displayed correctly.  I would think I was doing something wrong if the visualization tab wasn't depicting it correctly. I will try to add them again --it has happened on the last 4 web maps I have shared and was wondering if it is some sort of bug

0 Kudos
Katherine_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Yeah, possibly! Did you just recently update to a new version of Pro or something? That might explain why you didn't see this behavior before but now you are. 

0 Kudos
SuzanneWade1
New Contributor II

If anyone else is having this issue--tech support is looking into it now--I shared my screen and showed them the problem hopefully with an answer that I will post

DianaBenedict1
New Contributor III

Suzanne,

 

I believe I have found the solution on how to "trick" ArcGIS Pro into resetting the alias. First let me document an issue I had seen in the past with Pro and Field Alias.

  • a while back I noticed Pro would not update the field alias after the FeatureClass/Layer was added to a map. 
  • In order to have your service show the alias (without the need of updating the JSON in Web Maps) you would need to open the Design -->Field UI and update the field alias. You would need to do this even though you have already updated the field alias in the layer Schema via Catalog. 
  • I recently noticed that a co-worker added a new field and forgot to include the field alias
  • After this was done I was concerned because of the issue mentioned above - field alias were not reflected correctly after a layer/FC was added to a map
  • much to my suprise, Pro now "Shows" the new field Alias in the Design --> Fields ui. 
  • It also shows it "correctly" in the Popup manager/editor
  • I assumed that the service would show the alias once I republished ...but that did not happen (hence the bug).

After trying lots of different test to fix this issue so that I can see the field alias (without changing the web map json) I found the workaround.

  • Open the Design --> Field 
  • select the field of interest and make an update to the alias - even though it shows it correctly, you need to fool the system into thinking you made a change.
  • I backspaced once and added the letter that I deleted
  • you will see the field row change to green
  • Republish the service and BINGO, the field alias updated as expected. 

If you are currently working with ESRI on this known issue, can you please let them know what I have posted. I am currently working on a different issue with them and I do not have the time to invest on this issue.

Thanks

Diana

0 Kudos