ArcGIS Online default email

Jump to solution
10-09-2018 05:05 PM
AmberKelly
New Contributor III

Hi,

Id like to know if there is a way to change the default email sent out to new members of our ArcGIS Online Organisation?

I know there is an ability to edit the email on an individual invite level but we have an Enterprise login so im wanting to change the automated email that is sent to people upon self registration.

Any help would be great

Cheers Amber

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Amber,

Thanks for clarifying, I also think I misread your initial email. Can you confirm that you are using Enterprise logins that are set up to join automatically? If so, this isn't currently possible. I'd suggest logging an Idea on ArcGIS Ideas‌. I'll document the requirement to consider with the team, but it is always helpful to have this discussion with other users on the ideas site so we can consider multiple use cases.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DouglasCochran
Occasional Contributor II

The default format for the automated new member email invitation is:

"[Signed-in/inviters First and Last name] has invited you to join an ArcGIS Online Organization, [Organization Name]"

If you would like to send new member invitations to multiple users, you can use the "From a File" method using a CSV file, this will allow you to customize a single message that will be sent to all new member invites. 

Will that work?

0 Kudos
AmberKelly
New Contributor III

Hi Douglas,

Unfortunately it wont work as that is for 'invited members' whereas we have enabled (through the Security settings in AGOL )Enterprise logins so that anyone from our organisation, within our network/firewall etc, can create a new login for themselves when they first attempt to sign in to AGOL. Frustratingly I cant seem to find anywhere in the Config settings where I could set up/alter a 'Thanks for signing up for ArcGIS Online' email that gets sent to new members.

Thanks though!!

Cheers

Amber

KellyGerrow

Hi Amber,

Are you looking to change who the email is being sent from? If so, is there a reason why? Are you looking for users to reply to a specific email from the notification. It isn't possible to change the origin email address for invitations in ArcGIS Online. 

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos
AmberKelly
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

Sorry i didnt really explain that - I am only wanting to change the body/content/text of the email. The idea is that we could insert a link to any of our pertinent governance documentation for users new to our Organisation.

Cheers

Amber

KellyGerrow

Hi Amber,

Thanks for clarifying, I also think I misread your initial email. Can you confirm that you are using Enterprise logins that are set up to join automatically? If so, this isn't currently possible. I'd suggest logging an Idea on ArcGIS Ideas‌. I'll document the requirement to consider with the team, but it is always helpful to have this discussion with other users on the ideas site so we can consider multiple use cases.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
Alex-Santos
Occasional Contributor

I would also like to use this function. Has there been any change to this? Where is the idea so that I can vote? Amber Kelly

0 Kudos
DouglasCochran
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

Here is the Ideas link as requested to vote for modifying default email text.

https://community.esri.com/ideas/5995 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but you asked, and I am paraphrasing "why would you need to change the body of the outgoing invitation email message?".

For a large organization such as ours that has over 35,000 personnel scattered across the globe, we are getting account requests periodically and want to grant the accounts as soon as possible. The issue is that in a large organization individuals may look at an email coming from "ArcGIS Notifications" with an email body that says "person x is inviting you to an ArcGIS online organization, x" as spam or a phishing attempt, dismiss it and or report it to a security officer. Additionally, in a large government organization, very few people are going to know "person X", sending them an email. If you made the ability to have a carefully crafted email as the default that makes it look more official when they read it they would most likely not dismiss it. It sure would be a lot easier than having a text document that I have to copy and paste every time I send out an account invite.

Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

This is a spot on explanation.