ArcGIS Online: cache size too big

06-14-2018 03:58 AM
SB5
by
New Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to set up a map on arcgis online that I will update daily. When I try to publish the map from mxd I get the warning that the estimated cache size is 26 GB. When I calculate it in the caching setting it is actually 1,3 GB, but this still results in a warning. Is there a way of reducing this size?

I understand that caching is less relevant if the layers are updated frequently, and I will on a daily basis. Should I then reduce the number of tiles? What is recommended?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hey S B,

If your data is updated frequently you should consider publishing a feature service rather than a tile service:

Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

This will also not consume as much credits

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Additionally you can publish a tile service from a feature layer if you want the performance improvements of a tile layer. When tiles are created automatically, they are only generated when users initially request them, only generating the tiles at the scales you need. Check out this blog for more information

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/publishing-tiles-from-features-effic... 

Also, what version of ArcMap are you using? There were some older bugs about over estimating sizes for tile caches that were resolved in later releases of the software.

-Kelly

SB5
by
New Contributor

Thanks for the tip!

I'm using 10.3.1. Seems like the size is greatly overestimated, when I click calculate size it shrinks by 90%, but still so big that I get a warning. Feature service is the way to go for me!

0 Kudos