Select to view content in your preferred language

Application not showing data

Jump to solution
09-19-2013 04:49 AM
JohnByrne
Deactivated User
Hi,

I have created an online map and from that I created a application as well. The URL is:

http://www.arcgis.com/apps/SimpleMapViewer/index.html?appid=7ea1de5470d24298bec4d07645cf0ee0&webmap=...

On the system it works great and pretty muc how I would like apart from I would like the user to be able to do a postcode search!! However when I look at it on an ipad etc it fails to load the vector data and just loads the bas map data.

Any ideas?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt
Deactivated User
John,

this is how it works:

Open your mxd with the shapefile you want to upload. Symbolize the shapefile the way you want it to look, once uploaded it will keep that look.
After that do the following.

Click on "File" -> "Sign in..." and sign into your organizational account.
Click on "File" -> "Share As" -> "Share as Service" -> "Publish a service"

Choose My Hosted Services (My Account) and as Service name use for example Auto_Data

In the Capabilities tab uncheck Tiled Mapping and check Feature Access.

In the Item Description tab fill in the required fields.

Once you are done with that, click on Publish

Let me know if you have any more questions!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
TimWitt
Deactivated User
Are you using an organizational account or a free account?
0 Kudos
JohnByrne
Deactivated User
Hi Tim, its and organisational account, (I think). You advised us on a different issue last week, and the web app is the advice you gave.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Deactivated User
John,

when I open the app I can't see your layers either. Areyou host the layers with an Arc WebServer or did you upload the layers to your organizational account?
0 Kudos
JohnByrne
Deactivated User
I just added my service from my own server, is that the issue?
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Deactivated User
If it is a ArcGIS Web Server you can do it, you might just need to adjust the security settings. if it is just a local ArcGIS Server then anyone outside of your company won't see the data. That might be the issue why you see it on your desktop but not on your ipad.
0 Kudos
JohnByrne
Deactivated User
Its the latter I think Tim.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Deactivated User
Since you have an ArcGIS organizational account, can't you just upload the data through ArcGIS Desktop and then add it to your map, that you use in your app?
0 Kudos
JohnByrne
Deactivated User
I will try adding it as zipped shapefiles rather than the service, is that what you mean?
0 Kudos
IanWittenmyer
Esri Contributor
Based on the developer console error ( in chrome press ctrl+shift+I)  it looks like your assumption is correct.  I can reproduce what you are seeing and for me the solution was to fully qualify the domain of the server.  for example my server would be on the esri.com domain so if your server was on the same domain as mine, the url you would add to the webmap would be:

http://ndbc-vgis.esri.com:6080/arcgis/rest/services/NDBC/Bin_Routes_Sept13/MapServer/
0 Kudos