AGOL Update View Definition Error

Jump to solution
01-27-2022 12:01 PM
JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

I have no idea why I can't update the view. This setting used to be in the visualization tab. Then it got moved to the settings tab. In the Update View pane I select my layer, then in the second step Update is greyed out. If the second step is optional then why is Update greyed out?

JaredPilbeam2_0-1643313305591.png

I don't need/want to change anything here, but it's the only way out apparently. So, I randomly set area of interest then hit Update. Then I'm hit with a vague error. Anyone know what's going on here?

JaredPilbeam2_1-1643313640522.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ah! I see. Yes, we also experienced something strange like this when we had a parent layer with views and an overwrite changed something on the parent layer.

If you know of a schema change ahead of time, it works best to change the AGOL layer's schema ahead of the overwrite. When you adjust the parent layer in AGOL, the views can sort of pick up the changes. When the overwrite makes schema changes, the views don't "see" it.

For what it's worth, we abandoned that approach entirely because of views getting broken like this. Instead, we use a script to either selectively apply edits to the parent layer, or else just truncate and append.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DataOfficer
Occasional Contributor III

The Update button is greyed out until you make changes to your view (in your case, by clicking on the WasteRecyclingReport_geocode2 layer and changing the view definition somehow). If you want to exit without changing the view there is a cross in the top right corner.

I've not got a solution to your error, but there do seem to be multiple issues with views since the new Update View process was implemented in December. I've got several of these logged in a case, and have heard that others are also experiencing issues. Hopefully ESRI will resolve them quickly.

JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

@DataOfficer,

Thanks for the reply. When I initially posted I made changes to the view by defining an area of interest. Now I fumbled around in the Select fields part until Update wasn't greyed out. But, no matter what I get that error.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hey, that's my county in the screenshot!

Do you have anything dependent upon the view, like a hosted map image layer? I had some weird behavior once when a hosted image was dependent upon a view.

Have you looked at your layer's JSON to see how the view is currently defined?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

@jcarlson 

Yeah, the originator of the data doesn't exactly stay within our county boundaries--which makes geolocating all the more fun for me.

Thanks for the tips! The view was actually made from a published feature layer if that says anything. I ended up making changes in the script that published the feature layer, and instead of making a feature layer I did a feature class to feature class conversion--then overwrote the hosted feature layer. This changed something because now I can update the view.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ah! I see. Yes, we also experienced something strange like this when we had a parent layer with views and an overwrite changed something on the parent layer.

If you know of a schema change ahead of time, it works best to change the AGOL layer's schema ahead of the overwrite. When you adjust the parent layer in AGOL, the views can sort of pick up the changes. When the overwrite makes schema changes, the views don't "see" it.

For what it's worth, we abandoned that approach entirely because of views getting broken like this. Instead, we use a script to either selectively apply edits to the parent layer, or else just truncate and append.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Brian_Culpepper
New Contributor III

Thanks Josh for the Explanation of Feature Service VIEWS being "broken" by Web Layer/FS overwrites from ArcPro.   Do you know if this BUG has been reported?

Frustrating to find this out after various maps/apps are built upon those VIEWS and an WebLayer overwrite breaks it all...  bummer

thanks,

brian 

University of Arkansas

0 Kudos
RamonWilliams
New Contributor III

hello, seems like you guys are good with view creation stuff.  I just got into them  is there a way to mass update views?  I have two feature services..

feature service 1 - has about 28 states views and all the counties for those state views

feature service 2 has all the rest of the states and counties

Both is derived from the same data big data set because I got time out errors creating all 56 states under one view and data set so I broke the states up.  so I want to update all the other states to be under featute 1's data set so it will be easier to update.  is there a quick way I can do it or either find out which states are tied to which feature service.  I use the rest service to check them but some links seem to be broken and inaccurate on what is really there.

0 Kudos