Select to view content in your preferred language

AGOL Update Data - Add Data function does not recognize integer column from .xlsx or .csv

04-04-2024 11:46 AM
Labels (3)
JimMitchell1
Occasional Contributor

While attempting to use the Lead Service Line Inventory AGOL Solution, I attempted to import my data using the of the serviceline hosted feature class using the Update data function in AGOL. My 6000 record excel file correctly geocoded, and when attribute field matching, it recognized all of the fields from the excel file that were text.

However, the last field, yearstructbuilt, an interger field, does not recognize the last column of my excel file as integer data, it believes it is a text field and thus not able to pull that column of excel data in. 

JimMitchell1_0-1712255180833.png

I have:

1) Formatted the column in Excel as number column, with no decimals.

2) Save as a .CSV

3) copy / paste "values" in a new column in excel. 

4) change the header to a number

5) added zeros to all rows in the column that have null values. 

Does ESRI have a clear guide to proper formatting of excel or csv data to allow it to recognize other data formats, such as string, date, boolean, etc. It seems like the add data function is only able to recognize the data as text. I note in the field information, yearstructbuilt, it is listed as a small integer field. 

Any other workarounds would be helpful. I am able to upload the excel file into AGOL and turn it into a hosted feature class, but I would like to utilized the developed ArcGIS Solution data structure, apps and dashboards without tweaking. 

2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This is the only guide I am aware of

Work with Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

pay attention to the line about having the necessary drivers installed, just in case

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
CurtisMusson
New Contributor

I had the same issue. I used the csv to create a feature in Arc Pro. Then converted the feature to a GeoJSON. The GeoJSON preserved the integer data types. 

0 Kudos