AGOL Print - Basic Viewer Template

Jump to solution
09-10-2014 03:21 PM
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

I am in the process of transitioning a few flex viewer web apps over to AGOL web apps.  I have everything working except the print functionality.  I have seen several posts that have had problems but no resolutions.  When I replace the default print task with my print task on our ArcGIS Server that works in the flex viewer apps, I get not results and no errors.  The print templates I have to choose from are still those associated with the default Esri print service.  When I choose one of those templates, the print button changes to say "Printing" for a short period, then it changes back to "Print", no link to get my printout.

I am using a print task created using this tutorial (which works in my flex app).

Thanks,

Jeff Ward

Summit County GIS

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
17 Replies
JeffWard

Sorry, it does show imagery until you zoom to the lowest scale level, then just the operational layers.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jeff, I had a similar thing happen yesterday where my basemap/image would display at full scale, but when I tried to print, only operational layers would show.  For me, I had to go back to my basemap ArcGIS Server service and change the "minimum scale" in my case. I did this in ArcGIS Server Manager, selecting properties for the service I was having issues with.  This is a custom and cached/tiled  basemap, tiled from   1:16m to 1:24k. 
In manager, I was allowed to change the "minimum scale" to 30m.   I saved and refreshed the service.  That seems to have fixed it for me.  I was not able to find this in Catalog (their it was "minimum cached scale" , not "minimum scale")

I'm not sure that this is the way it should work, but it did.  My guess is that since my cache was set to 1:16,000,000 and displayed correctly, when I when to print is was attempting to get different tile scale and was then blank.  For my immediate purposes of testing printing with custom templates and geopdf, that's what I needed.  I'll be messing with it more myself in the future.

Hope this helps giveyou some ideas to try.

JeffWard

Thanks for the input Rebecca Strauch‌.  The cached service I am using is the Esri imagery service, so I don't have control over the tiles.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

I zoomed in as far as possible and was still able to get the imagery to print.  Do you have the same issue using the out of the box print service or is it only reproducible with your custom service?

0 Kudos
JeffWard

It is just my custom print service.  It works with the default print service, but not my own.  Is there a setting I need to change in my print service?  I like my printouts to have a disclaimer and other custom stuff associated with my own layouts.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
JeffWard

The imagery exports if I choose the MAP_ONLY option, but all of my other layouts won't export the lowest level of imagery.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Jeff I just ran a quick test using the rest Services directory for your print service and can reproduce the issue with the imagery not printing.  Perhaps there is something that needs to be updated on the service. Maybe try posting this question in the ArcGIS Server space?

Here are my test steps:

1. Go to the REST services directory for your service: Execute Task (Export Web Map)

2. Enter pdf for Format

3. Enter 11 x 17 Portrait for Layout Template

4. Enter the following for Web Map as JSON

{"mapOptions":{"showAttribution":true,"extent":{"xmin":-12015578.141286803,"ymin":4659919.495362616,"xmax":-12015131.462402897,"ymax":4660042.511204976,"spatialReference":{"wkid":102100}},"spatialReference":{"wkid":102100},"scale":1128.4971760040912},"operationalLayers":[{"id":"layer1","title":"layer1","opacity":1,"minScale":591657527.591555,"maxScale":1128.497176,"url":"http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Imagery/MapServer"},{"id":"Weather_Warnings_Watches_Advisories_Statements_7721","title":"Weather_Warnings_Watches_Advisories_Statements_7721","opacity":0.29000000000000004,"minScale":50000000,"maxScale":1500000,"url":"http://tmservices1.esri.com/arcgis/rest/services/LiveFeeds/Weather_Warnings_Watches_Advisories_State...","layers":[{"id":0,"layerDefinition":{"source":{"type":"mapLayer","mapLayerId":0},"definitionExpression":"EVENT = 'Red Flag Warning'"}}]},{"id":"NOAA_METAR_current_wind_speed_direction_6464","title":"NOAA_METAR_current_wind_speed_direction_6464","opacity":1,"minScale":0,"maxScale":0,"url":"http://tmservices1.esri.com/arcgis/rest/services/LiveFeeds/NOAA_METAR_current_wind_speed_direction/M...","layers":[{"id":0,"layerDefinition":{"source":{"type":"mapLayer","mapLayerId":0}}}]},{"id":"MODIS_Thermal_9833","title":"MODIS_Thermal_9833","opacity":0.73,"minScale":0,"maxScale":72223,"url":"http://tmservices1.esri.com/arcgis/rest/services/LiveFeeds/MODIS_Thermal/MapServer","layers":[{"id":0,"layerDefinition":{"source":{"type":"mapLayer","mapLayerId":0}}}]},{"id":"Wildfire_Activity_3790","title":"Wildfire_Activity_3790","opacity":0.78,"minScale":0,"maxScale":0,"url":"http://tmservices1.esri.com/arcgis/rest/services/LiveFeeds/Wildfire_Activity/MapServer","layers":[{"id":0,"layerDefinition":{"source":{"type":"mapLayer","mapLayerId":0}}},{"id":1,"layerDefinition":{"source":{"type":"mapLayer","mapLayerId":1}}},{"id":3,"layerDefinition":{"source":{"type":"mapLayer","mapLayerId":3}}}]},{"id":"mapDiv_graphics","opacity":1,"minScale":0,"maxScale":0,"featureCollection":{"layers":[]}}],"exportOptions":{"outputSize":[800,1100],"dpi":96},"layoutOptions":{"titleText":"US Wildfire Activity","scaleBarOptions":{},"legendOptions":{"operationalLayers":[]}}}

JeffWard

I'll do that.  Thanks for all of your help Kelly.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah