AGOL Join Features Analysis Tool - JoinFeatures Failed

07-24-2018 08:56 AM
MaryEllen_Perko
Occasional Contributor II

Hi.  Using the AGOL Join Features tool, we are trying to join an AGOL point hosted feature layer with lines from a map service hosted internally.  Each time we run the tool we get the following popup message.  If we publish the line data to AGOL as a hosted feature layer, the join succeeds.  Does anyone know if there are limitations or configuration considerations when using a map service with the AGOL join features tool? 

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Mary Ellen,

Is your ArcGIS Server accessible to the internet? In order to use the hosted ArcGIS Online analysis tools, The tools will need to be able to access the source service. If the source layer can't be accessed from the internet (the analysis tools are hosted outside of your network) then the tool won't be able access any information from the service and complete the analysis. If the layer is published to ArcGIS Online or accessible to the internet, it will be accessible to the analysis tool.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
MaryEllen_Perko
Occasional Contributor II

Hi.  Thank you for the idea.  The map service we're using is accessible to the public.  It is NCDOT_FederalAidRoutesQtr (MapServer).  We've actually encountered this issue here and there with some of our other services; both agol hosted and internally hosted.  We just don't do it enough to establish any patterns.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks for sharing the layer.

Do you have a dataset to join it to that I can try to reproduce the issue with?

I noticed that scale dependency is set on the layer. When you are running the join tool, are the road features visible or not?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
deleted-user-pSEFA8qSxLCv
New Contributor III

Mary Ellen - did you ever figure out a solution? I'm running into a similar problem

0 Kudos
DavidForbuss1
Occasional Contributor III

I'm now running into this issue now as well.  My feature class and the table I want to join are technically accessible, but they are not set to "public".  Since the tool is hosted outside of the network, do they need credentials in order to perform the join?  Would temporarily setting them to "public/everyone", then creating the join, then setting them back to restricted permissions work?

0 Kudos
DavidForbuss1
Occasional Contributor III

Well...I couldn't get it to work the way I wanted to because neither my feature class or the related table are hosted features, so the last option "save as a hosted view", which enables live updating wasn't available.  I ended up digging through my email to find an old SQL statement that my ESRI tech adviser helped me put together that creates a view on the geodatabase and then published that view as a service.  I only needed a one-one join to get the most recent inspection date, so I'm not sure how this would work with 1-M joins.  For what I need though, it seems to be working pretty well so far.  Interestingly, we were previously on a postgreSQL backend and the view was so slow I couldn't hardly use it.  Now that we've switched over to SQL server it seems quite a bit faster.  Anyway, here is the statement that I used...modify as needed:

Create a new view on DB root

Fill these out...

SELECT a.*,
(SELECT max(b.inspectiondate) FROM CriticalFacilitiesInspectionsTable_evw AS b
WHERE a.facilityid=b.facilityid) AS lastprocessed,
DATEDIFF(day,(SELECT max(b.inspectiondate) FROM CriticalFacilitiesInspectionsTable_evw AS b
WHERE a.facilityid=b.facilityid), GETDATE()) AS DaysSinceLastProcessed
FROM ssgravitymain_evw AS a

Good Luck!  Feel free to contact me if you need any help!  **Disclaimer: I'm not super good at SQL but I'm working on it : )

0 Kudos
RamseyJeff
New Contributor III

David, were you able to get this view to work in AGOL? We've been having serious issues with a similar view and joining features in AGOL...

0 Kudos