AGOL does not add raster layer from map service

01-23-2017 07:13 PM
MarkChilcott
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Peoples,

There are a number of methods one can use to publish raster datasets to ArcGIS Server.  One method is to simply add the raster datasets to a map document, and publish the map document.  The layers in the mxd simply reference raster data sources.  This is what we have done with one of our services that contains historic data.

When this method is used, I cannot add an individual layer from the server to a web map in AGOL.  One can do this when the data source is  feature class, but it does not appear to support when the data source is a raster.

The dialogue that appears states : Error The layer is not supported and can not be added to the map.

Why is this the case?

I did note I can add the entire Map Service to the web map (as opposed to individual layers).

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
9 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Mark,

Please contact Support Services to investigate this issue further.

-Kelly 

0 Kudos
MarkChilcott

Hi Kelly,

I did log with support.  Usually support is good.  In this case I got the run around - where they wanted an entire map package with all the data to be able to reproduce.  Give the size of our datasets, and the time it would have taken me - I closed the support issue in frustration.  It should be a simple matter to add a few raster datasets to an mxd, publish to server and attempt to add the layers to a web map.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
PatrickSmyth1
New Contributor

Hi Mark - were you ever able to find a resolution to this issue? Experiencing the same thing (6 months after your original post) and does not appear to be any solution other than adding the entire Map Service which is overkill especially if one has published a service with a lot of layers. 

0 Kudos
MarkChilcott

No - never went back to re-look at it.  Not sure where it is at.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Mark and Patrick,

ArcGIS Online Supports hosting tile map services and feature services. If you want to use raster data as a tile service, you will need to publish the entire dataset and generate tiles in ArcGIS Online or as a tile package on Desktop and then upload to ArcGIS Online.

Share imagery as an ArcGIS Online tiled map service—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS Enterpr... 

Tile layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Raster data isn't supported as input for feature services.

Author feature services—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

If you want to publish raster data as an image service, you will need to publish to ArcGIS Enterprise

Publishing image services—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos
MarkChilcott

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for getting back to us.  You are correct that Raster data is not supported in a Feature Service.

However - raster layers are supported in Map Services. You can add a raster layer to a Map Document, and publish this to ArcGIS Server.  Once published it becomes just another layer in the service.

AGOL cannot add a raster layer from a Map Service to a web map though.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Thanks Mark,

That is correct. ArcGIS Server supports dynamic map services which support the described functionality. ArcGIS Online supports Tile Map services, so requires the tile workflow. If you want to add individual layers, you'll need to host the service on your local server.

0 Kudos
wizgis
by
Occasional Contributor II

So from what I understand after going through the post that it's an expected behavior. Would have been great if this functionality was available as I am in a similar situation where I have a set of raster data/layers (LULC) published as a map service to ArcGIS Enterprise however, when trying to add individual layer in Portal Map Viewer I get the error of : The layer is not supported and can not be added to the map. 

The reason I wanted to add individual layer was so that I could change symbology of few classes and change label names. Is there a more efficient way to do this rather than republishing the layers after doing the changes in Pro. 

HayleyL
New Contributor II

Also following

0 Kudos