AGO or AGOL?

12-29-2021 08:46 AM
MachielVan
New Contributor III

I often see ArcGIS Online abbreviated in one of two manners: either "AGO" or "AGOL".

Is there any "official" way to write it in short hand? "AGO" makes much more sense to me since "Online" is a single word, but I guess using "G" for "GIS" throws this logic out the window. 

Tags (1)
5 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

"Potato, Potahto", as far as I know. I've always used AGOL, but it probably just depends on what one was introduced to when they first started learning web GIS. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

I always say AGOL.  "AGO" seems too close the word "ago" to me.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
I_AM_ERROR
Occasional Contributor

I've never even considered that the "L" isn't technically needed! I wonder how that started.

Now I'll think about everytime I write out AGOL even though I'll never be able to stop. 

Thanks a lot! 🙂

MachielVan
New Contributor III

Kudos for the Zelda II reference

BRENNEJM
New Contributor III

In college I knew it as AGOL and when I started my job I switched over to AGO. Using the google search "agol" site:esri.com -site:community.esri.com it looks like the only reference to "AGOL" is in partner documentation and user comments. If we switch up the google search to "ago" site:esri.com -site:community.esri.com we find Esri's ArcGIS Online Assistant whose URL is https://ago-assistant.esri.com/. This does appear to be the only place that Esri actually used an abbreviation for it though.

Going back to google, if we search "agol" site:esri.com we get 20,400 results and "ago" site:esri.com gets 24,500. So while pretty evenly split, it looks AGO might be slightly preferred.