Select to view content in your preferred language

Adding x y data to map

Jump to solution
12-14-2016 03:37 AM
KarenStartup
Emerging Contributor

Hello I am trying to load a csv file into ArcGIS online that contains x y coordinates (British National Grid). I get an error message:

The layer was not created because no locations could be found. Make sure your data has valid addresses or geographic coordinates (latitude/longitude).

I am sure I read in the help pages that you could add x y data.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

The British National Grid coordinates are not geographic coordinates and your CSV file has no projection information for ArcGIS Online to transform your coordinates to GCS LatLon values.  You need to convert the BNG coordinates to GCS first and then upload the CSV file.  See this page for more info: The National Grid FAQs | Support | Ordnance Survey 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

The British National Grid coordinates are not geographic coordinates and your CSV file has no projection information for ArcGIS Online to transform your coordinates to GCS LatLon values.  You need to convert the BNG coordinates to GCS first and then upload the CSV file.  See this page for more info: The National Grid FAQs | Support | Ordnance Survey 

CarmelConnolly3
Deactivated User

This is a handy tool if you want to batch convert: https://www.doogal.co.uk/BatchReverseGeocoding.php

Otherwise you will have to plot the data first in ArcMap (or ArcGIS Maps for Office) and then publish to ArcGIS Online.

Carmel

KarenStartup
Emerging Contributor

Thanks both for that.  Saved me a lot of time and searching.

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

I was not aware of this particular reverse geocoding tool - thank you!