Select to view content in your preferred language

Adding new points to a feature layer via Update/Add

3 weeks ago
MichelleK_NSLA
New Contributor

I am developing our first map project in ArcGIS online, and I am struggling to create a process for updating and adding new points.

For ease of explanation, our project is a map of about 13,000 cemeteries worldwide where Canadian veterans are known to be buried. As there are new burials every day and many existing burials as yet unrecorded, this data will require regular updating to add new cemeteries and update the data attached to existing points.

I am struggling to figure out how to add new cemetery sites to the feature layer, and have them plotted on the map. Add/Update does add them to the attribute table, but does not create the point geometry to plot them. The same issue comes up when we find an error in the x,y coords and need to update those. It's clear that updating the attribute table isn't enough to update the geometry and see the changes on the map, but I can't figure out how to bridge that gap.

I have looked for solutions in these communities but found only references to tools available in ArcGIS Pro (such as XY Table to Point). 

How can we add new points to our existing feature layer and update geometry for existing points, in ArcGIS Online? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
clt_cabq
Occasional Contributor III

@MichelleK_NSLA  - are you setting up a basic webmap for editing? In the screen shot I've added here there are a few tools to use:

• the green highlighted lets you set up a form for editing - this can really help simplify the edit process for end users and help you to enforce some quality control over the data entry. I'd look at this first.
  • the yellow highlighted button activates editing capabilities in the web map that pop out a panel where i've highlighted a couple of things:
    • the red highlighted 'select tool' lets you select an existing point, it opens up a form of attributes and if you hover over the point you select you can move it to a new location.
    • the blue highlighted bits are predefined categories that if you select on you can then place a new point for that 'type' on your map, then edit a related attribute form for it.
  • If you are developing an application there are some 'instant apps' that support editing and you might look at those. Otherwise if you are wanting to dive into the deep end of developing an editing app in Experience Builder, there are some trainings you can find that will help you get started.

clt_cabq_0-1721678308373.png

0 Kudos
MichelleK_NSLA
New Contributor

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this.

To clarify - I'm setting up a basic webmap for public sharing/information. Only members of our org will be editing, to keep the data current.

I will definitely take a closer look at the Form functionality for updates. I haven't explored this at all yet. I was thinking about more of a batch update on a periodic basis given our workflow in our operational database, but maybe this will assist with that too. I'll investigate.

I have worked with the Edit Features tool, but the challenge is that updating x,y coordinates there does not appear to update the geometry and hence the marker's placement on the map. The same issue happens when I add new features via Add/Update. The info is correct in the table, but not added to the map.

I do see now that while a feature is selected you can move it "manually". But this doesn't affect the x,y coordinates data in the table. And changing the x,y coordinates in the table doesn't affect the positioning of the marker on the map.

This is what I'm trying to understand. I know I'm missing something here, but I can't seem to put my finger on it!

0 Kudos
clt_cabq
Occasional Contributor III

I understand a better - coordinates stored in your table are NOT what drives the location on the map and generally are for 'information' use only. Because table coordinates aren't updated automatically when you change the location of a point, I generally don't consider this a 'best practice' for precisely the same reasons you are describing. If you are going to have those coordinates for some kind of reporting purpose you have to make sure your update workflow includes a process to update the x,y coordinates in the table. This is why I never 'trust' table coordinates when I look at or receive data that includes those. The method suggested by @RyanBohan works if your workflow includes working in Pro. You can implement some Arcade to calculate geometry in ArcGIS Online, but there are some challenges there depending on how your hosted feature class is setup. If you creating a popup that displays those values works for your use case then that is feasible as well, and maybe the better solution since the displayed coordinates will not be out of sync. 

0 Kudos
RyanBohan
Regular Contributor

If you adjust the x/y in the attribute table, do you want the point geometry location to move to match that location?

You can do this as a field calculation within Pro

RyanBohan_0-1721682998591.png

UpdatePoint( !Location_Latitude!,!Location_Longitude!)

def UpdatePoint(Location_Latitude, Location_Longitude):

# Spatial reference set to GCS_WGS_1984

spatialReference = arcpy.SpatialReference(4326)

myPoint = arcpy.Point(Location_Latitude, Location_Longitude)

myPointGeometry = arcpy.PointGeometry(myPoint, spatialReference)

return myPointGeometry

0 Kudos
bbollin
Esri Contributor

@MichelleK_NSLAalthough you can do a field calculation, if sounds like you might need a longer term solution for continual editing and maintenance of your coordinates. There are a few solutions here.

1) If you want to enter the specific coordinates for the point while you are editing and then have the table update after the fact, you can use tooltips. See this blog to walk through the explanation and example: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/map-a-point-tooltips/

2) If you want to place a point using the edit tool and then have your table automatically updated to whatever the coordinates are anytime you edit/update the feature, you can create a calculated expression in your form. See item #5 in this blog https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/field-maps/field-mobility/common-calculated-expressions-fo... 

0 Kudos