Add WMS (including from ArcGIS Server) and using specific projection?

10-17-2014 04:24 AM
deleted-user-AYsXjhkrwuAA
New Contributor III

Hi guys

We're piloting ArcGIS Online for a few little projects here and I'm finding it really great except for the way it handles projections.

I'm trying to create a custom basemap, which for ESRI Maps for Office needs to be in the Web Mercator Projection.

None of our tiled map services, either WMTS or ArcGIS Online Cached Services are natively in that projection, but I do have a WMS and ArcGIS Dynamic layer which would support it.  However when adding these as Basemaps ArcGIS Online always switches the map back to their default projection (in this case British National Grid).  This would be great if ESRI Maps for Office supported it.

Can anyone suggest a way of adding a WMS and forcing ArcGIS Online to use a specific projection ?  Or changing the projection of a map ? 

Also when I add a WMS or WMTS hosted on our ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online always consumes it's rest service basically ignoring that I asked to add the WMS or WMTS. Again this has implications as the rest service may be in a different projection or tiling scheme from the basemap, where as the WMS could support the basemap projection.  Is there

Is there a way to force AGS Online to consume a WMS (or WMTS) from ArcGIS Server as an OGC Service, and not as an ArcGIS Server service?

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm not an expert with how Esri Maps for Office works...

The basemap is what sets the coordinate system for the map. So the behavior you describe of "switching back to British National Grid" is the expected and correct behavior. This is independent of the type of the service (WMS, ArcGIS Server).

You are also correct that AGOL will target the REST endpoint even if you add a layer via the WMS URL. Its more efficient and has greater capability. AGOL can do this because it supports both types of services.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
deleted-user-AYsXjhkrwuAA
New Contributor III

Thanks for replying Mike,

That's what I'd thought regarding the basemap services so will just have to create new rest services for different projections.

For you consuming rest services when adding a layer via WMS. This is only more efficient if the Rest endpoint was published in the correct projection, whereas a WMS can support multiple projections and may be able to transform into that used on the AGOL map if the rest endpoint is in a different default projection.

Andrew

0 Kudos