Add new fields on related table on ArcGIS Online

04-21-2020 03:52 PM
KerryKang
Occasional Contributor III

Hello all, 

Is there any possibility that I can add new fields on the existing related table? May be possible with ''add to definition''?

My feature layer was published with a relational table, and I need to add some new fields on the table as well as change some setting such as 'nullable' (no change needed for the feature layer). I am aware that related tables are not that flexible to work with, but wondering if there is any work around.

I try to add 'admin' on the service url, and tried 'update layer definition' and did not get any luck. I have not tried 'add to definition' though. Would it work?

I'd like to avoid republishing the data as I need to re-configure a few apps that linked to the data. It's okay to delete some records in the related table though. Any advice?

Cheers,

K

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kerry,

Try using the Add Field tool in ArcGIS Pro.  This will allow you to add fields to hosted feature service related tables.

KerryKang

Hi Jake,

I tried it in Pro and got an error code 000852. Could you provide any advice on why I receive this error?

Cheers,

K

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Do you receive an error when you go to the item details in ArcGIS Online > Data tab > Fields > Add?

0 Kudos
KerryKang

Hello Jake, I do not see 'add field' option. 

I thought 'add field' is not available on ArcGIS Online > data > fields when the data has related tables. 

Did I miss something when I published the data??? Would you mind sharing your process how the data was prepared and published?

Cheers,

K

0 Kudos
KerryKang

Hi Jake, 

I tried to use 'add to definition', but my schema is locked and add field did not work. I tried to update 'Source Schema Changes Allowed' from false to true, but the update did not work.

I feel like I can add new fields this way if schema changes were allowed. Any advice? 

Cheers,

K

0 Kudos
KerryKang

Hi Jake, 

It's me again. 

I kind of figured out that the reason that I did not see 'add field' option. It was due to my Joined view. After I removed the view I created from join, I was able to see add field option in both feature layer and related table. 

Do you think it makes sense? 

So lesson here for me is cannot modify data when it has analysis view layer associated with.

Cheers,

K

0 Kudos