Ability to add SubFolders?

03-14-2012 03:01 PM
EricDaniel
Occasional Contributor III
I'm beginning to find that number of web maps listed in my account is getting very long, especially when viewing them on the mobile apps.   The folders have helped me reduce the size of the list but now I'm to the point where the folders are becoming too long.  Unless I'm doing something wrong, it doesn't seem I can add Folders within another Folder.  Am I doing something wrong or is this not possible?   If it's not possible, I see this becoming a bigger issue for many of us as we be begin to add more and more maps.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Only one level of folders is allowed.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
EricDaniel
Occasional Contributor III
Mike,

Do you know if there is a reason it's being restricted to one level?  Does the Subscription version open that up to more levels?  I'm getting worried about the clutter I'm beginning to see.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Technically, ArcGIS Online is a database of items. Databases don't have folders really. We added folders to My Content to provide a little extra organization ability. Unfortunately, we have no plans to support an additional level of folders.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
DavidLitke
Occasional Contributor
I'm just getting started as a beta tester for ArcGIS Online for Organizations, and I also wonder about how to organize lots of maps. It seems that Folders only exist for My Content, and that capability only helps to keep maps organized for yourself. In order to organize maps for your organization's users, it seems the only recourse is to create Groups, which I guess can be thought of as a kind of 'Folder', but as with My Content Folders, there is only one level (ie no groups inside groups).
EricKirk
New Contributor III
Yeah, I don't get it.  I feel like it almost discourages the creation of more maps.  I also think it will force those of us that have a lot of maps to try to create some workarounds using lots of folders and/or groups.  To the point where were going to have possibly 100's of single level folders and groups under one account. 

I'm just getting started as a beta tester for ArcGIS Online for Organizations, and I also wonder about how to organize lots of maps. It seems that Folders only exist for My Content, and that capability only helps to keep maps organized for yourself. In order to organize maps for your organization's users, it seems the only recourse is to create Groups, which I guess can be thought of as a kind of 'Folder', but as with My Content Folders, there is only one level (ie no groups inside groups).