1,000 feature limit in ArcGIS online?

10-17-2011 07:50 AM
JakeMilofsky
New Contributor
I recently attended an ArcGIS Online seminar where the presenters used Cambridge's tree inventory to show what is possible with ArcGIS online.

When I went to upload my own city's tree inventory (over 30,000 features), I was disappointed to learn that you can only upload shapefiles with 1,000 features or less.

I could go through and create new shapefiles for each neighborhood and then upload them individually, but if possible I'd rather not do all that work.

Does anyone else have creative solutions to this problem?
Tags (2)
10 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Your only solution is to create a service out of your data. You can use ArcGIS Server to do so today. In the future, with an ArcGIS Online subscription, you can host your data as a service in ArcGIS Online.

It won't work to break your shapefile of 30,000 features into 30 shapefiles of 1000 features each. You'll quickly run into other limitations, like surpassing the maximum size of a web map (because all these features get stored inside the web map) and also exceeding the web browser's ability to draw all of these features.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
DiegoLlamas
Esri Contributor

Hi Mike,

So, is there a limit of layers that I can host in the same mape if I am using ArcGIS Online free? I have more that 40 layers in one map but now, if I try to add more layers I got an error that i cannot save my map or it is a limit of features

Thanks

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Diego Llamas‌ It isn't a layer limit but a feature limit. If the layers are map image layers, there's no problem. Layers added to the map from csvs and shapefiles are feature layers that store coordinates inside the map. For these, the limit is 1000 features total.

Here's a post that further explains these limits.

Who can make this  ESRI'S reply simple and easy to understand ?

Thanks,

Mike

thadwester
New Contributor II
J, unfortunately there is no work around for this problem at this current time unless you are well versed in mapping api's and have access to a web-server.

I think everyone would welcome an inbetween solution from arcgis that would allow a small company or individual to upload there information online to be shared, without the relatively huge investment in arcgis server hardware/software.  20 or 30 dollars a month would be an exellent value.
0 Kudos
TonyPistilli
New Contributor II

That really is an excellent idea!  Someone could make a LOT of money doing that.

0 Kudos
DonPritt
Occasional Contributor II
Our company is interested in the organizational subscription but the 1000 point upload is a major draw back, since we
are a utility company and have over 11,000 customers we would like to post most of our water and sewer service connection data
to our ESRI online map to share with employees.
But I can upload layer converted KMZ's to Google Maps and share a VPN network link with no problem. >:(
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
With an organizational subscription, you'll be able to visualize your points by creating a hosted service out of your data rather than loading the data directly into the web map. The subscription gives you the ability to create a service, which is different than loading directly in the web map, which is what you can do without one.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
TiffanyPuett
Occasional Contributor II
Open ArcMap and add your data. Go to file|Sign in using your organizational account. Then go to File|Share As a Service and use hosted services as an option. You should have no problem using more than 1000 features.

If you decide to use them in a web map or app you will get errors in performance. To fix this, add it to the web viewer and set a scale dependency on it so that no more than 1000 features are not being rendered at once.
JochenAlbrecht
New Contributor
I recently attended an ArcGIS Online seminar where the presenters used Cambridge's tree inventory to show what is possible with ArcGIS online.

When I went to upload my own city's tree inventory (over 30,000 features), I was disappointed to learn that you can only upload shapefiles with 1,000 features or less.

I could go through and create new shapefiles for each neighborhood and then upload them individually, but if possible I'd rather not do all that work.

Does anyone else have creative solutions to this problem?

I have a similar problem - following Mike's description on how to overcome the 1,000 feature limit for uploading a layer to AGOL. I created the service definition file (2,166 census tracts in NYC) and then tried to upload it to AGOL. It results in "Unable to publish item.
This Item '5e3e03847d814dc49c1e52878c178c5c' can't be published to Online Service". At this point, I don't know of any other workaround.
In a different thread response, Mike asked why I Andrew didn't just publish directly out of ArcGIS Desktop. My question here is "How do I find out what URL to enter to publish to my organization's AGOL site?" I can only find my organization's homepage URL, which ArcGIS Desktop does not accept as a publishing target.
In that same response, Mike writes "Alternatively, to create an SD file that can later be uploaded directly to My Content, you need to author the SD specifically for ArcGIS Online." This is, however, not an option. The dialog only allows me to an ArcGIS Server or a Spatial Data Sever. I chose the former.
0 Kudos