What services are using an SDE layer? Create a tracking tool

07-15-2019 07:43 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If a layer is in use by a user on SDE and you need to do something with it like Administrate tools, you can go to the Locks and see who is using it.  But if you have servers using a layer, which is usually the case, it can be time-consuming tracking down what service is using a layer.

Problem:

However, what is far more difficult is figuring out what service is using a layer, if you need to do an action where no user can be connected.  Sure it will tell you the Server machine. Not useful. We have hundreds of services. While I am creating a tracking spreadsheet many of the services were created before my time but are still running. Tracking down what service is using what layer manually is time consuming. 

Solution:

Create a tracking tool. Simply show a table of what services (and on what servers) are using layers in SDE.  Or fgdb.

Problem:

What webmaps are using a service?  

Solution:  create a tracking tool on ArcGIS Online to show what webmaps are using a service.

6 Comments
JacobBoyle412

This is a great idea!  The ArcGIS Monitor team has a tool that does what you're asking for. 

I wanted to point you to System Log Parser: https://arcgismonitor.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=dacebd64a0a04c87b1c48905e2cfc70d 

One of the results if you run the discreet tool, which is not dependent on ArcGIS Monitor is a list of services and connections:

SLP Screen

For more information on how to use this tool, check out: https://community.esri.com/community/implementing-arcgis/blog/2019/04/23/system-log-parser-statistic... 

by Anonymous User

Thanks Jacob. I am reading your article. Excellent, I'll test out the Parser. I've been looking at Monitor. Hopefully I will get a chance to get it up and running when we go to 10.7.1.

JacobBoyle412

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help as you proceed!

RandyKreuziger1

Kevin, did you have time to set it up?  This sounds like what we need too.  Was it difficult to set up?

JacobBoyle412
AndresCastillo

Very nice, 

I will take a look