Vector Tiles - Add ability to download in different formats

04-08-2021 07:01 PM
COSPNWGuy
Occasional Contributor II

We have a lot of vector data that we are sharing publicly through a open data portal (using HUB) with hosted feature services. Believe it or not, the #1 feedback item I get is that the public loves to be able to download data directly (excel, kml, .shp, file geodatabase), particularly consultants and engineers. Hosted feature services allow this. However, we have some datasets that hosted feature services is not optimal (i.e. very dense contours). We end up having to grid contours into different feature services for performance. (Also, these feature services are resource hogs. We are burning through credits.) Gridding also makes it harder for them to figure out which layer they need for their AOI. Vector tiles could "kill two birds with one stone" if there were download options - not having to grid the data plus getting increased performance and efficiency. I imagine a vector tile might not have all the data that a hosted feature service might have but being able to download something is better than nothing.