Standardized map view/extent in ArcGIS Online Map Viewer

07-23-2021 04:23 AM
Danny_ATLANTES
New Contributor II

Using different maps for a single application, it looks nice to have them all in the same extent. It would be nice to have an option to standardize the extent, like extend values to copy and paste like you have in ArcGIS Pro.

Right now, when I want to change the extent of the already existing maps, I need to go to every single map to change it and make sure they are similar. This really slows down the workflow.

Thank-you,

Danny

4 Comments
jcarlson

You can do this sort of thing using the ArcGIS Python API or ArcGIS Online Assistant, but I agree that more "batch update" options in the AGOL / Portal interface would be a nice addition.

Danny_ATLANTES

I tried the AGO Assistant. Works great, thank you!

wayfaringrob

This used to be possible: https://www.esri.com/about/newsroom/arcuser/control-the-map-extent-in-arcgis-online/

Very frustrating that this was removed.

wayfaringrob

And thanks for the tip @Danny_ATLANTES, I was able to do what I needed there! These are the steps I took:

1. Head to https://ago-assistant.esri.com/ and log in.
  2. Click "I want to..." then "View an item's JSON"
  3. In the left, navigate to the map whose extent you're looking to copy. Select it.
  4. The right will populate the item's JSON. Under 'Data,' you're looking for a code block that looks like this, probably toward the end. (Ctrl+F and search for initialState or viewpoint, etc.)rburkebsrc_0-1646256613770.png

5. Copy the 4 lines that include xmin, ymin, xmax, ymax (like above).
  6. Navigate to the other map(s) that you're looking to copy the extent to. Click "Edit JSON" in the top right of the Data box. Find the same code block and paste the values over those 4 lines. Save, repeat for any other maps, and you're done!

You'll still need to be careful to click "Home" before each time you save, or re-do these steps if you accidentally bump it.

I still agree that that's a lot of steps and not intuitive, especially if you're not familiar with JSON (I'm not all that familiar). But, this is a functional workaround for now.