See relationships of layers, maps and apps at a glance

09-07-2022 11:30 AM
MerrileeTorres
New Contributor II

I would be very helpful if we could see a schematic showing the relationship of dashboards, apps, maps, and layers/tables to easily see the bigger picture of what is being used, where and how.  Like in Access where you can see a visual that shows the relationship between tables.  For example, this way, you could quickly see  which tables and layers need to be updated to support a particular map, or which maps are supporting an app, or which maps, layers and tables support a particular dashboard.

4 Comments
KennethLohr

This would indeed be very helpful, I upvoted. 

In looking for how to do this, I found a script published by Esri to expose dependencies, it's for Portal though.  I was able to run it by swapping in my ArcGIS Online org URL (instead of a Portal URL) but no significant results were returned by the script.  Maybe it needs further modification to work with ArcGIS Online.

Also, I found this other script that apparently creates a graphical representation as you suggested, but it is also for Portal.  Being unsuccessful with the first, I hadn't tried the second.  Maybe your Python skills are better than mine and you could get it to work.  I agree though, it would be better if this were just baked into the product.    

MikeHowle

Something simple on the overview page of web maps showing what apps are using that map. And a list of maps that are being used in an application. Much like the current list of layers that are being used in a web map or web app. Add the relationships. 

ScottBall
Status changed to: Under Consideration

PeterHall

I agree we need track these relationships for ArcGIS Enterprise as well as online (Table - Layer - Map - App - Viewer). Should be able extract using API so can be ingested into other systems to form a more complete picture of end to end data lineage.