Save Pop-up configuration to the Portal Item (Map Service) instead of just in the web map

06-23-2014 08:01 AM
TarunChandrasekhar
New Contributor III
In ArcGIS Portal's web map viewer, every time I add a map service Portal Item - the pop-ups are not enabled. I need to go click on each item I want, enable pop-ups and then choose to configure what attributes I want to see, whether I want a pretty, descriptive text, chart etc. 
Then, if that item is used in another web map - all that is lost.

Here's my idea.
1. When we register the map service with portal, allow us to configure the pop-up state (enabled or not) for each sub-layer, along with the configuration. This would then be the default state. When a user add that to the web map - they will not need to wonder why they don't see anything when they click

2. When the item is added to the web map - allow users to change the configuration or disable popups for the web map - but the default state is still available for others who use the map service 

2 Comments
ScottBateman

Along these same lines, would it be possible for this to be controlled by the "HTML Popup" properties in the layer from ArcMap?  This already exists, and seems like it should be controlling visibility of pop-ups already.  They seem to allow similar options as AGO/Portal (list of field vs. custom).

When a layer in a published service has popups enabled, you see this in the REST endpoint:
HTML Popup Type: esriServerHTMLPopupTypeAsHTMLText

Conversely, popups disabled in ArcMap show:
HTML Popup Type: esriServerHTMLPopupTypeNone

These layers both seem to behave the same in Portal with respect to them defaulting to have popups enabled or not.
ScottBateman
I believe this may be a version issue - seems to work as Tarun requested in 10.2.1

Leveraging HTML Popup from ArcMap as published in the Map Service would still be a useful enhancement