Select to view content in your preferred language

Pre-ArcGIS Online Update notification of features that impact existing services

3 weeks ago
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Regular Contributor II

It's great to see so many useful features rolling out with each update to ArcGIS Online (hello Recyle Bin). However, I do have a bone to pick with the way updates occur. Each time an update is scheduled, there is always apprehension around what I'll need to fix when I get into work the following day. This time was no different. Yet again, I was presented with a new issue - all our offline maps no longer working offline. In this case, it was because of a tightening of the rules around which fields are required for a layer to be considered offline compatible (regardless of if it is editable or not). I had to go through all our maps in Field Maps Designer, open each hsoted view with an error and update the defined fields to include not just the Editor and Edit Date fields (previously required on editable layers only), but also select the Creator and Creation Date fields and to do this on all layers present (regardless of editability status). 

IDEA: Prior to implementing an ArcGIS Online update, notifiy admins of changes that may impact the functionality of products hosted in the environment. This would enable us to implement updates ahead of time so that there is no downtime for users and unexpected emergency repair works throwing other works programs on the back burner. 

This is particularly prudent due to the mandatory nature of ArcGIS Online updates (no ability to opt-out/delay like you can with ArcGIS Pro). 

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA_0-1719540777386.png

2 Comments
MaxwellDebellaESRI

Hi Lindsay,

My apologies about this inconvenience, I know how frustrating it can be to have these things break on you. I was able to recreate your issue above and believe this is likely a bug and not a functionality change. I was still able to create map areas regardless of these errors. You should still be able to take these layers offline, but we are incorrectly blocking you from doing so. If you need a quick workaround, follow the steps below:

1. Open the item details page for the feature layer from which the view is created.

2. On the settings page, turn off "Keep track of who edited the data (editor name, date and time)." and then click "Save".

3. Go to the Item details page for the feature layer view.

4. On that Settings page, turn on/off "Keep track of changes to the data (add, update, delete features)." and then click "Save". You will likely get an error, ignore it, this step is needed to refresh the feature layer view.

5. Go back to the map's offline area and toggle the offline areas on.

6. Once offline is toggled back on, go back to the feature layer from which the view layer is derived.

7. In the settings for that layer turn "Keep track of who edited the data (editor name, date and time)." back on and then click save.

8. Go back to the feature layer view's settings and turn on/off "Keep track of changes to the data (add, update, delete features)." the click save again.

9. You will be able to now take your map offline again.

*You can also save the map as new map and it should enable offline regardless of the errors.

I'll investigate further and will respond here with more information. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Best,

Maxwell

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Thanks for the work around @MaxwellDebellaESRI. I had already gone through and updated each hosted view to expose the Creator/Creation Date and Editor/Edit Date fields to get everything working again successfully. Glad I've pointed out a bug and hope it helps others avoid the issue if it can be resolved quickly.