Overwrite an existing web layer owned by someone else in your organization from ArcGIS Pro

07-17-2015 07:17 AM
Charles-AndreRoy
New Contributor III
Privileges in ArcGIS Online should give more possibilities for data/map management like a way to "centralize" things that multiple users can update/manage. ArcGIS Online is good to share contents with other within the organization (for mapping), but it's lacking of functionalities for data. For instance, it's currently possible to "overwrite an hosted feature layers" that was added using ArcGIS Online. That can be done for web layer that you own, but you can also overwrite an existing web layer owned by someone else (if role of the other user is set to Administrator).

Things that could be great:
- In addition to each user "My Content", should have a "My Organization Content" available to all (or through privileges/groups)
- Be able to overwrite content of another user from AGOL or ArcGIS Pro (through a My Organization Content or see other shared user folders/items)
36 Comments
AndreaRichardson1

We really need this. Similar to other user stories posted above, we have the need for multiple users to be able to overwrite certain services. I thought giving other user Admin privileges would solve the issue - was quite surprised when it didn't.  Changing owners just to do this simple task is ridiculous. Having multiple-user overwrite ability as an option would prevent accidental overwriting of layers you don't want overwritten - similar to how delete protection is now an option.

TiiuKelviste

Yes, please consider this also for Portal. 

TiiuKelviste

Yes, please consider this also for Portal. 

SusanTran

At Pro 2.6, Administrators can overwrite web feature layers map image layers , and stand-alone tables owned by someone else in the organization from ArcGIS Pro.  

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/whats-new-in-arcgis-pro.htm#GUID-CC4A24A7-32F2-4B07-AA...

While this doesn't give multiple users the ability to overwrite certain services as some have requested in their comments, it at least allows those with admin privileges to overwrite. Hope this helps!

ChristophRömer

i was surprised that it is not possible to overwrite hosted feature layers and all attempts to change group or user role authorizations failed. it doesn't support co-working in projects.

PhilippeVDV

Hi

According to me it's indeed very strange that  you cannot republish an existing service (overwrite an existing service) through ArcGIS Pro if someone else owns it. This makes collaboration between the different team members of the GIS team within a company or administration very cumbersome. I was in contact with Esri support and they said that this is only possible with an administrator role.

Another workaround is that you temporarily reassign the ownership of the item in ArcGIS Online. Or that you work with a generic publisher named user and share his credentials among team members. 

I'm also wondering whether this behavior is not a bug. When you define a custom role that has the administrative privilege Content > Update, through ArcMap it is perfectly possible to republish a service that you don't own!

PhilippeVDV_0-1653464581909.png

However, in Pro you'll see the following Window:

PhilippeVDV_1-1653464696005.png

Only the My Content tab is available. I believe My Groups or My Organization should appear here when logged in with a custom role that has the admin privilege Update Content enabled.

I hope Esri will fix this in a future release of Pro

Best regards

Phil

by Anonymous User

@SusanTran Maybe something else was going on...but last week with Portal 10.9.1 and ArcGIS Pro 2.9.3 I was not able to overwrite a feature service that another Admin owned. I also have Admin priviledges. I am not able to even see the feature service in Pro in the Overwrite Web Layer window.

Edit: I found this 

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000026909 Only Hosted ArcGIS Online feature layers. 

• The layer is not hosted in ArcGIS Online. Overwriting capabilities are not supported for non-hosted feature layers.

We are using Portal -Reference registered data feature service. I think I need to start a new Idea for this. Thanks.

And Edit again:

Sorry for another edit! But after searching more it turns out I can overwrite the feature service, I just had a terrible time finding it in the Overwrite Web Layer Window. So nevermind, the functionality exists. 

SusanTran

@Anonymous User As an administrator, you should be able to overwrite a web layer owned by another member. Non-admins can only overwrite web layers they own.  To overwrite a web feature layer published with the reference registered data option, you'll need to search for it's map image layer. 

In the Overwrite Web Layer browse dialog, click on My Organization (available only for admins) > search for the map image layer. 

The tech article linked above has some inaccuracies that I'll correct here. Web layers hosted on ArcGIS Enterprise are also supported for overwriting. On Enterprise, map image layers and hosted web feature layers are supported for overwriting. 

Thanks for posting. Hope that helps.  

by Anonymous User

Hi @SusanTran thank you. I also have a conversation going over here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/overwriting-web-layers-in-arcgis-pro-as-portal/m-... I talk about the Overwrite Web Layer dialog window here and the groups.

One of the confusing aspects for me on searching in that Overwrite Web Layer window is also why it's only showing the Map Image Layer? I'm trying to overwrite a feature layer. This was an issue because I renamed the feature layer in Portal so I could find it easier in Pro. But of course I didn't rename the Map Image Layer because I didn't want to overwrite that layer. So after I renamed the Map Image Layer (after reading your post) then I could find it. 

Also the only way I could find the layer was to do as you said: click My Organization. Why doesn't the My Groups and Groups buttons work like they function in the Catalog window? Maybe it is a bug? This was a problem for me because I had 3 feature services all named the same thing but in different groups. 

Yes, thank you. That Tech Article was confusing since it was inaccurate.

Thanks.

SusanTran

Hi @Anonymous User,

When you publish a map image layer with a feature layer referencing registered data, the feature layer is associated with the map image layer. You can think of the feature layer as an extension of the map image layer's capabilities. When you overwrite, you have to find the map image layer because it's basically the primary layer in this case. 

As an admin, I'm able to search for another member's web layer by name in the Overwrite Web Layer browse dialog under My Groups and also under My Organization if the search filter is set to Content. When you set the search filter for Groups, it searches for a group matching your search terms, not content. This is the same pattern used in the Catalog window/pane. 

The inaccuracies in the tech article have been reported to Support. It should be updated very soon. 

Thanks again for your questions.