Move time-enabling of data in ArcGIS Online out of the hands of the data publisher and into the hands of the map publisher.

08-03-2016 12:06 PM
AndrewRudin
Occasional Contributor III

Move time-enabling of data in ArcGIS Online out of the hands of a data publisher and into the hands of the map publisher.  Maybe even a rule that any hosted layer that contains at least one date field will automatically become time enabled.

I was frustrated when I tried to add a hosted layer with a date field to an AGOL map and play with temporal app capabilities, only to find out that the layer has to be time-enabled by the person who publishes it first.  The date field is right there and I can't utilize it for temporal capabilities in my map/app.  In my organization we publish lots of our enterprise feature classes from our internal SDE database to AGOL hosted layers so that map publishers in AGOL have lots of data at their fingertips.  Most of those have at least one date field if not several.  The SDE admins and data creators don't necessarily know or care what users will do with those date fields so they don't know if it needs to be time-enabled in AGOL.  Plus if there are multiple date fields I'm guessing AGOL only allows one per hosted layer to control time. 

Move this time enabling over the layers within each map definition so various groups in an organization can do more with one hosted feature layer.

Thank you.