Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Viewer labelling options: (a) create a label with a boundary outline (b) offset by more than -20 or +20 (c) create a multiline label

03-14-2024 10:31 AM
dcallaghan
Occasional Contributor

What is your goal in using GIS and the goal of the wider workflow?

• I am currently working to integrate Met Office National Severe Weather Warning Service (NSWWS) alert data from an API and Python script into multiple internal products for our operational teams.
  • I am unable to make a single label with complex formatting that complies with the recommended and mandatory styling guidance provided by the Met Office for use with the NSWWS API (the current style guidance is here: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/metofficegovuk/pdf/about-us/what-we-do/nswws/ns... ).
  • I am able to make a complex label in ArcGIS Pro using HTML tags that complies with the guidance, but I am unable to transfer this styling to Map Viewer as ArcGIS Online doesn’t render text via HTML.
  • I can implement a workaround using multiple label classes, however even then I am unable to (a) create a label with a boundary outline, (b) offset each of the classes by more than -20 or +20 to as to prevent overlap between the classes, or (c) create a multiline label.

How often does the missing feature affect your workflow? 

• The incompatibility between label formatting capabilities within ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online forces my users and I to default to use basic label formats, or to opt for pop-ups instead as they have more formatting options.
  • In this particular instance, the lack of formatting options means that even with workarounds, I am unable to comply with the styling guidance.

What is the scale of the issue? How many people/projects are being affected?

• The incompatibility means we are defaulting to using pop-ups, even though these are often inappropriate (e.g., by taking up screen real estate and requiring users to click multiple times)
  • In this particular instance, the issue is affecting a multi-page Experience with embedded ArcGIS Dashboards, that use the NSWWS feature layer to filter other organisational data.

What is the cost of not having the requested feature? What are the number of extra clicks, time wasted, etc?

Is it difficult to estimate the cost of not having the feature, however the inconsistency means:

• development time is wasted by users in ArcGIS Pro, who then find labelling formats don’t work when shared to ArcGIS Online and used in Map Viewer.
  • Admins are spending time investigating which formats work and which don’t, and then developing guidance to explain this to users.
  • Maps with the basic labels we are having to use are less informative and less intuitive to the non-GIS users who use geospatial products with the organisation.
  • In this particular instance, because I am unable to comply with the styling guidance, the Feature Layer is more likely to be misunderstood by an end user and/or is less likely to be considered authoritative.
1 Comment
dcallaghan

Note for clarification:
For multiline labels, I would want to create a multiline label that concatenates two fields into a single string and allows me to split the string at a character of my choosing, e.g.,

"Field1" + ":  " + "Field2"

would generate a label like:

Population:

The closest reference to multiline label I can find is for a single field: https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-create-multiline-labels-for-a-single-field-in-a...