Group Layers setting to be open by default

04-04-2024 02:45 PM
TimLohnes1
Occasional Contributor

The group layer needs an option to be expanded at the start. The group layer loads as closed and you can't see the map choices inside until you expand it, which means we need to expect users to know it is a group layer hiding many map options and they need to open it. 

As most users are not map interface experts, the only option is to write lengthy text on the group layer name instructing people to open, which is a bad workaround.

See attached for a visual.

Tags (2)
1 Comment
Kevin_MacLeod

Precisely.  I did this on www.sagis.org/map with JS API 3x a decade ago. Solved: Layer List TOC ideas - Esri Community  Furthermore partial checkboxes for group parents when only some sublayers are visible should be a thing.  Partial Checkboxes across platform in TOC - Web Ap... - Esri Community  I see changing the 'eyeball' back to checkbox is now an option.. While the eye seems to make sense, I have a feeling it is less intuitive to end users without much map viewer software familiarity; a checkbox is a universal UI element, including partial state checkboxes.  (Similar to how 'docking' popups is not intuitive to end users as compared to a moving popup like I implemented on the SAGIS viewer) The layer list also needs a tooltip on hover when layers have no visibility due to draw scale decisions by GIS analyst. (As I added with the html title on that site)  Finally, a badge or on-hover showing layers with active definition queries would be great; in web viewers, as well as in Pro.  We've all been there done that and been confused for half an hour until we realize oops there's a def query active.  I have shared all of my source on that map viewer as open source (and with much credit and assistance from Robert and others here): kevinsagis (github.com)