Consistent handling of symbology in map viewer

09-01-2021 01:52 PM
MicheleH1_DNReply
Occasional Contributor

Ok - so there are a number of ideas whinging about hatching symbology in services - and I have upvoted them all but there are all years old now so I'm going to give this another go.  Also I think this is slightly different.

Here's the saga:

I have a map service published to portal (not hosted). Some of the layers are from an enterprise geodatabase and some from a file geodatabase. The layers in question here are from the file geodatabase. I'm using the service in AGOL.

I have 2 hatched layers - one was cross hatched - so the symbology consisted of two hatching symbology layers going in opposite directions.  When I published the service to portal this layer came through as a solid colour. After a little research I took one of the symbology hatch layers off so now just like the below. Republished the service and the symbology came through.  Well it came through after having to re-add the service to my map viewer again - the original service didn't change.  Oh well - reordered my fields again and carried on.

MicheleHosking1_0-1630528908119.png

I have another layer with a solid colour with a hatch over the top - see below. It came through in the service just fine. So... what?  This has 2 symbology layers as well - one solid, one hatched so... the solid makes a difference?  Only then I decided to label this layer.  Yes I know - can do that in the map viewer but I didn't think of that and anyway you can do better labelling in pro. Republished the service.  Suddenly the solid colour is missing. I noticed that change came through in the service without me having to add it into my map viewer again.  So now labels make a difference?  Took the labels off and republished - all good again except I had to add the service into my map viewer again to get that to come through and... reorder my fields... again....

MicheleHosking1_1-1630529062613.png

Some consistency around how symbology is handled would be fantastic.  I mean obviously hatching can be done in services - it just depends on how you hold your tongue.

I may have said this before but... this makes a lot of extra work for the kitchen maids....

(Has anyone read The Ordinary Princess? - great book, my fav as a kid - get it for your girls).

Update:  the solid background has fallen off the symbols - I think since I turned labelling on in the map view.  It was just pretending before.  I give up....

1 Comment
SWilander

Very informative saga on symbology. Good work. I just need this symbology (see below) to remain in my hosted app and not go to all grey hatching;

SWilander_0-1630602375109.png