ArcGIS Online Item Details Page - "Updated" Date

04-10-2019 08:05 AM
ChrisBardash1
New Contributor II

The "Updated" date on the ArcGIS Online item details page should reflect the date the data was updated, rather than the date the item details were updated. 

The "Updated" date near the top of the item details page is not necessarily the date the data was last updated.  That date can be found on the right side pane, under the Details header, and is called "Data Last Updated."  This is the date users care about.  They are mislead, for example, if I fix a typo in the item details page, into thinking that's when the data was last updated.  So, my suggestion is to make the "Updated" date reflect the date the data was last updated, or swap the locations of these dates.

This image shows an example of the Items Details page in ArcGIS Online, the various update dates, and their confusing placement. 

4 Comments
MegHoole

I agree... a simple wording change to clarify what exactly the "updated" date refers to, would be welcome.  Much of the terminology used in AGO is muddy and confusing to new and old AGO users.

Breda_GIS

Latest updated data is not always in the service details! Does anyone know why not 

ErinNovakovich

I also agree. I have been getting questions about this a lot lately where people want to know why this date is from a year ago when the data is actually updated daily.

ErinNovakovich

@Breda_GIS  

I noticed it's not in the Details when it's a Map Image Service. Could that also be what you are seeing?