Allow embedded videos in ArcGIS Online pop-up windows

04-06-2012 06:42 AM
RachelWeeden1
New Contributor III

Having support for more types of multimedia content, especially videos, to be supported in the pop-up windows for ArcGIS Online web map viewer and ArcGIS Explorer Online would be a very useful enhancement. Many AGO users have links to videos (e.g. CCTV camera feeds) that would be great to display on a web map. Also, this would increase the potential for integration of social media content with AGO web maps.

7 Comments
BrianCrumpler
There are a number of streaming media formats (besides mpg, avi, jpg, etc) that are becoming very standard in the world of streaming media.  ArcGIS products should be more interoperable with many of those formats, not just the legacy mpg, avi, jpg, etc.
Harmenvan_Doorn
I agree with this important issue (!).

For media channels it is important to embedd video's and audio streams into a pop-up.

There is a workaround now. Create the pop-up yourself and add this iframe code:
<iframe width="160" height="102" src="http://nos.nl/embed/?id=v:461629&autoplay=1" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen ></iframe>.
PeterKohler2
Yes, absolutely agreed on this also,

Probably a lot of work in making this functionality a reality, but it isn't some fancy desire of a few people, it is a standard expectation of any current, old or new user and above all the expectation is make it IDIOT PROOF! 

Why force users down complex and confusing work arounds? 
by Anonymous User

I fully agree with you Peter, things like this should be standard within the platform to make inserting elements within popups a much easier thing. I am also surprised there aren't more people on here voting this request up, then again I don't think too many people know about this space and don't know to get on here and request features.

by Anonymous User

Also to the point on this thread, is that the latest comments were in 2013 and it is now 2017. This feature is still not very easy even after the past 4 years (?) Either it isn't as big of a deal as we think it should be, or did it already get implemented and I am just missing it? I have talked to ESRI tech support folks and they all have shown me a really complicated way to insert media within popups.

Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin

you can add videos to pop-ups using the iframe method. 

enable the html view for the pop-up and insert the html code

<iframe width="160" height="102" src="URL for video Link"

frameborder='0' allowfullscreen ></iframe>

AurelieShapiro

has anyone got this to work? I just tried it and the popup is blank...or when I go back the pop-up code, it's gone.