Add Related/Maintenance Record to All Selected Features

06-08-2020 01:46 PM
KellyArmstrong
Occasional Contributor II

I would like to be able to select multiple features and add a related record to each.

For example:

1.  Public Works crew goes out and flush all the city hydrants.  It would be nice to select all the hydrants and apply the same service (related record) to each hydrant.  When there are 1500 hydrants, this would take a week currently to add a related record to each hydrant, individually.

2.  Public Works crew sweeps all the streets.  Again, it would be nice to do the same as in #1, above.

3.  Public Works crew jets 10 storm sewers.  Again, it would be nice to do the same as in #1, above.

4.  All streets get striped.  Again, it would be nice to do the same as in #1, above.

5.  Many streets get reconstructed each year.  Again, it would be nice to the same as in #1, above.

There are so many examples that we in a City or Public Works environment, where this action isn't possible through any widget in AGOL and it makes entering services/maintenance records a real headache.

31 Comments
DavidMurray_ODWC

Would you mind expanding on your solution?  Even a "duct tape and binding wire solution" would be good for my colleagues.

Katrin
by

Hi Alix

Would you consider adding a solution to ArcGIS Pro as well?

Also, I guess people have faced different problems, but for me the main question is to change or delete multiple existing related records at once. You did not say you would add something like that. When you mentioned you would allow batch create related records when creating new feature but not on existing feature already raises question, if this would be an incomplete solution on your side. There is no point for us to batch create related records if we cannot change or delete them without having to go through each one by one.  

DianneMichalak

David,

I made a few notes to capture the logic, the main pieces of the workflow and a few particulars. Hope it helps.

This workflow was developed to improve efficiency of data entry. There are five components to the workflow.

1. Data Schema – fields in the feature class have the exact same schema as the related event table.

2. Collector map – data is entered in the field using the Multiple Edit tool.

3. Layer and table specific mxd – a definition query identifies entries in the feature class by selecting all features with a date stamp that falls within the past 24 hours.

4. Python script – identifies the mxd, feature class and related table. Three tools are run – Field Calculator (updates

June 8 2020 07:23

AlixVezina

Hi Katrin,

Yes, I agree with you that we need both batch create and batch update/delete related records. I will make sure this is taken into consideration. Thank you for letting us know this is a requirement for you as well!

KellyArmstrong

Any updates to this?  I see in no ESRI software, app, viewer or anything, that I can add a related record to multiple features.  Wouldn't ESRI want to "up" their asset management abilities with this feature?

KevinMacLeodCAI

I would love to see this be added to WebApp Builder roadmap as well, as it will be used for main production apps for large Esri customers for at least another 5 years. I think there is a valid business case for retaining and acquiring new Esri customers purely on bringing related record editing to WAB as WAB is in heavy use now across most GIS sectors. It is hard to overstate how great WAB is and how vital it has become for organizations to create web apps. Related records batch editing would be huge for utilities, local government and damage assessment  @AlixVezina

KevinMacLeodCAI

I would love to see this added to WebApp Builder roadmap, as it will be in use for production apps by large Esri customers for another 5 years. I think customer retention and acquisition alone would justify it, as related records batch editing would be huge for local gov't, utilities and damage assessment @AlixVezina From Orgs I have seen this outweighs 3d or multiple views etc from 4x API/Exp Builder which are often demoed

GrantHoward1

This is huge need for our organization as well.
In Web Apps it would be great, but for us more importantly in Field Maps. I read above that this idea submission may only be for the Web App integration. 
So does that mean ESRI may look at this idea submission but only consider it for Web Apps?
Does anyone know if there a separate idea submission already for 'Batch Editing/Adding Related Records in Collector/Field Maps?'
Thanks.

Sietse_de_Haan

We also need this not only in experience builder but also in Field Maps. Fieldworkers work with this app and not within an app in the browser. Would be great if this would be implemented within Field Maps. @AlixVezina could you tell us if this is the case in the near future? Cheers!

JTLancer

To add to this idea, it would be desired to select two unrelated features and create a relationship between them.  We have cases were we have 2 feature classes that we would like to make a relationship. We can do this by selecting a feature and mannually typing in an ID from a field in the 2nd feature class.  It would make things so much more streamlined and less error prone if you could link the two features automatically.   Currently, to build a relationship in field maps it has to be done through feature creation rather than selecting existing data.