Add and remove layers to existing hosted feature service without affecting existing data and configurations

02-18-2021 08:56 AM
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

This is likely a repeat idea, but I was having trouble finding exactly what I was looking for. I would like the ability to be able to add and remove layers to existing hosted feature services in ArcGIS Online without affecting the existing data and configurations (i.e. symbology and pop-up configurations). This would be helpful for data organization and management.

For example, I published a hosted feature service for habitat type monitoring. There is a unique layer for each habitat type because each habitat type requires a unique field schema. I published the layer and configured it in the web map, but then I was told that we needed to add an additional habitat type for this years round of monitoring. It would be nice to be able to add that to the existing service so everything could "stay in one place" rather than publish a new service just for that one habitat type. 

Thanks!

6 Comments
MeganEngel

This functionality would be extremely helpful.  

I have encountered a similar example repeatedly; having to add additional project data (say soils or wetland areas) for my field users.  In which case, I've had to overwrite existing services for those projects to add those layers. On the other hard, some feature services I have published, have layers that I would like to remove from the feature service entirely, because they're out of date and/or not pertinent anymore, without having to either 1. remove the that specific layer from every web map that I use the feature service in or 2. republish the service with out that layer.

Great idea!

BrittanyBurson

Please!

RyanBohan

A published hosted feature is a great way to organize data, as all layers and tables are contained in a single hosted layer.

However I have ran into two issues:

1. Sharing is universal, all layers/tables are shared at the same level
    1. If you don't want to share one or more layer/table at the level of the entire service.  The entire service will need to be republished to remove that layer.
  2. To add a new layer or table also requires republishing

This makes maintenance to a pubic webapp/ dashboard tricky.  Republishing means some parts of the app will need to reconfigured and tested which results in downtime. 

If the layers are published independently updating the Share status, is three mouse clicks..

WestDundeePublicWorks

It would give us the ability to make a view to multiple layers for use in survey 123.  The feature service has layers that are gis integrated to our system OMS from cartegraph which is your partner I believe.  now my only option is to publish multiple feature services.  Is there a way to merge feature services?  I think adding layers as I add data to my system is the best way.  Then I could publish maps for the general public to see.  thanks much in advance.

JonahW
by

This feature would be extremely useful for my organization as well. We do a lot of GPS data collection and I have individual layers for each asset type (water, sewer, storm). A lot of times I am asked to include additional layers mid-project and this functionality would save a lot of headaches!  

HollyTorpey_LSA

I also would really love to be able to add additional layers to existing feature services after publishing. We have a lot of Field Maps data collection template layers, and often field staff request additional layers to be added to the template service after they've been using it for a while, and then our only option is to publish a new template feature service and then update all the maps and apps that include the layer.