Ability to send Hub users straight to the Download page instead of map

12-27-2021 09:58 AM
ErinNovakovich
New Contributor III

I would love to see a configuration setting that allows the Hub Administrator to choose whether the organization uses the "Explore" map or the "About" description for each open data item. My users are confused by the map when they just want to download datasets. If I could send them directly to the page that allows downloads it would save me a LOT of time in answering phone calls, emails and dealing with the general frustration of folks who can't find the downloads they need.

3 Comments
jcarlson

... it would save me a LOT of time in answering phone calls, emails and dealing with the general frustration of folks who can't find the downloads they need.

Couldn't agree with you more. Our average user's technical expertise is minimal, and anything that can simplify their experience would be welcome.

DataOfficer

I agree. As a workaround I have built in direct links within our hub pages for users to go to the explore/download screens for layers they are likely to want to export regularly.

Example hyperlink:

https://[hub page web  address]/datasets/[item id]/explore?layer=0

Changing the layer number at the end if dealing with an item that contains multiple layers. 

GIS_Fox

Definitely a pragmatic idea, agree for sure. Same as @jcarlson , we've handled hub sites with download pages similarly. Thanks for the idea post @ErinNovakovich , hoping this gets implemented soon!