Select to view content in your preferred language

Inspect the JSON of a Web Map created in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
11-27-2023 06:53 AM
TommyBramble
New Contributor III

A while back when ArcGIS Online and Portal were first available there was a way to view the items in a more admin-centric UI mode where you could actually see the JSON value/markup of the web map object. The AGOL item would open in a form, where all the item properties (the json markup, tags, credits, etc) were in editable form fields.

I've forgotten how to access that interface and it may not even exist any longer (or maybe it was just a feature in the locally installed Portal version?). 

Does any one know of what I'm referring and how to get to that view in ArcGIS Online? Basically I just want an easy way to inspect the JSON of a web map without having to use the browser debugger tools to extract it from a request.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can examine the JSON of a web map using the original ArcGIS Online Assistant or the newer ArcGIS Assistant

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can examine the JSON of a web map using the original ArcGIS Online Assistant or the newer ArcGIS Assistant

0 Kudos
TommyBramble
New Contributor III

Thanks! Is that from Esri Professional Services? Just wondering how safe that is to use and login on.

Also, right after I posted the question I realized the 'data' endpoint in the api would work:

https://arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/{itemId}/data?f=json&token={tokenId}

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From the ArcGIS Assistant User Guide:

ArcGIS Assistant is a community-driven app developed by a team from Esri Professional Services. This app streamlines certain administrative tasks for ArcGIS power users who have an advanced understanding of the ArcGIS geoinformation model, and want to perform advanced tasks outside the scope of existing ArcGIS apps.

ArcGIS Assistant is the successor to AGO-Assistant. Read more about the new Assistant, as well as future intentions for the project, in the Guides.

0 Kudos