This Week's Picks - ArcGIS Online #9

02-18-2020 09:21 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
5 0 1,174

As an ArcGIS Online administrator, you have control over just about every aspect of your ArcGIS Online organization. From inviting members, assigning licenses and managing groups to configuring credits, security settings and utility services, you the ArcGIS Online admin are in charge. An incredible benefit of this is that the organization can be configured and managed with specific use case or workflow requirements in mind. A challenge is that there can be a lot to keep track of, and for new admins, a bit of a learning curve. The below picks provide some tips and tricks for new and seasoned admins alike to make the most of your, dare I say almighty, role as ArcGIS Online administrator.

How to Be an ArcGIS Online Administrator

If you are just getting started with administration, my colleague Rachel Guttmacher‌'s blog post, https://community.esri.com/people/RGuttmacher-esristaff/blog/2019/11/18/how-to-be-an-arcgis-online-a..., is a must-read. It's a fun, conversational piece that covers some of the most crucial administration components including credits, member management, licensing, and security. 

Additional Resources:

Utilize Custom Administrative Roles to the Fullest

Another colleague of mine, Tyler Burns‌, recently wrote a great blog post on taking advantage of custom administrative roles: Lighten the Administrative Load in ArcGIS Online with Custom Roles. If you're looking to delegate specific administrative tasks such as managing members and content or organizing the website, the post provides directions and screenshots for exactly how to configure custom administrative roles to accomplish this. 

Additional Resources:

"AAA": ArcGIS Online Administration Automation - Video 

Kelly Gerrow‌ and John Yaist‌ presented this 20 minute talk on automating administration at the 2019 Dev Summit. For anyone administering a larger organization or with an interest in bolstering their automation skills, this is a recommended view. Topics covered are using the Rest API to query the organization history, and creating groups, users, and assigning licenses in batch with the ArcGIS API for Python. 

Additional Resources:

I hope the above picks were helpful for all the administrators out there! Let me know below any comments, questions, or if there are any topics you want to see in future posts. Thanks for reading, and be sure to keep an eye out for This Week's Picks - ArcGIS Enterprise & This Week's Picks - ArcGIS Pro!

See you again in March,

-Peter

--------------------

Previous posts: This Week's Picks - ArcGIS Online: Archive 

Connect with me on Linkedin and follow me on Twitter