Scheduling Automation Tasks

07-02-2020 09:54 AM
Labels (1)
KrayFreestone
New Contributor

Per the most recent AGO release, we can now:

Leverage the built-in ArcGIS Python libraries to automate and schedule repetitive administrative tasks in your Web GIS.

However, I created a Notebook in ArcGIS Online (Standard 4.0) and do not see the option anywhere to schedule a task. Am I not finding it or does this feature not exist yet? 

9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kray - Sorry about this, that was a misprint in the blog post that we have since corrected. We will be implementing the ability to schedule notebooks in Online soon in the form of Tasks, but for now this is only available in ArcGIS Notebook Server as part of an Enterprise deployment. If you'd like to familiarize yourself with how it works in ArcGIS Enterprise ready for when it's available in ArcGIS Online, see the Notebook Server documentation here. 

Yann-EricBoyeau
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User ,

We are also really interested in the sheduling of AGOL notebooks. When you say "soon" implemented, is it something we can expect in first half 2021 ?

Thank you !

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Yann - Yes, AGOL notebook scheduling is still in development but planned to be release the first half of 2021.

Thanks for your interest!

Josh

MikeSlattery
Occasional Contributor

I imagine that capacity is part of the consideration -  I would be happy to see a 6-to-24 hour throttle per notebook or even per account if that allows earlier rollout.    Scheduled and exec from webhooks would help out a lot.   Producing solutions for an org - it is helpful to be able to have and show and pass on all the moving parts from within the AGOL family, to cut down on 3rd party services.   Thanks!

0 Kudos
MikeSlattery
Occasional Contributor

Hi Josh,

We are preparing for spring updates on a couple of inventories where notebook automation would save us from deploying a full script from a external service.    Can you tell us more about the rollout date for this feature?   Fingers crossed that this emerges in May or June!    Thank you.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Mike!

Good news - scheduled notebooks are available now. If you aren't an admin on your org, request that the admin adds the 'Schedule notebooks' privilege to your user role. Here's the documentation on how to schedule notebooks: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/prepare-a-notebook-for-automated-execution.htm

If you already have the schedule notebooks privilege or you are the admin, but don't see the Tasks tab inside your notebook, let me know as there may be an issue with your org type that we'll have to sort out.

The minimum run interval for a scheduled notebook in AGOL is 15 minutes. 

Note: scheduled notebooks charge credits at a different rate than interactive notebooks. See this link (scroll down to ArcGIS Notebooks: Scheduled) for more info.

MikeSlattery
Occasional Contributor

Wow.  This is very good news.   Thank you and thanks to the Notebooks team!

0 Kudos
Calebababa
New Contributor

Hi Josh, 

I am having some trouble using Task inside my notebook in one of the AGOL I'm subscribed to. However it works fine on another AGOL, both of which I am Administrator and GIS Professional Advanced in. 

This is the notebook without Tasks, in esrimsia.maps.arcgis.com. 

Calebababa_0-1646360557279.png

Whereas this is with Tasks in lgesrimy.maps.arcgis.com.

Calebababa_1-1646360881657.png

Can you please assist or point me to the right direction to troubleshoot? 

Thank you and regards

Caleb

0 Kudos
shikhar_deep
Esri Contributor

Hi @Calebababa ,

Since you mentioned being administrator and have required scheduling privileges, could you verify if you are also the owner of the notebook (not showing "Tasks"). Alternatively if you save this notebook as a new notebook, does the issue still persists?

And in esrimsia.maps.arcgis.com the issue is in this notebook only or other notebooks too?

Thanks & Regards
Shikhar Deep

0 Kudos