Encrypt ArcGIS online password in ArcGIS Notebooks

Jump to solution
09-28-2020 10:07 PM
wwnde
by
Occasional Contributor

This question is can be cross-referenced to the 2018 one.  

I only have ArcGISOnline. I have several notebooks which I have scheduled to run in windows scheduler. A number of them require logon to run. Where they are run manually, the following works perfectly well because users are able to type in password and the scripts runs ok.

Where they are executed on scheduler, I have managed to set keyvault on azure and I parse password as follows

The challenge is, if someone wanted they can print the secret  value. Two questions;

1. Could there be an alternative authentication methods for ARCGIS Online notebooks that I can use to avoid hardcoding passwords in scripts that are scheduled to run on a server?

2. Has anyone tried the Azure option and has a way to  not just to disbale printing but ensure any attempts to print output non plain text?

Your help will be appreciated. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wwnde
by
Occasional Contributor

An option I found and now use is the  Azure Serverless Compute Functions. Keyvault Secrets can be integrated into Functions. What is fed in Functions is the Secret Identifier and not other credentials that can be used to retrieve the secrets conventionally. You then can add relevant codes logging into AGOL in the functions. That's the safest I got. If they are scripts required to run on schedules, use Azure TimerTriggers. If the scripts needed to be initiated by Feature Class Edits or updates Httpriggers can be used.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wwnde
by
Occasional Contributor

An option I found and now use is the  Azure Serverless Compute Functions. Keyvault Secrets can be integrated into Functions. What is fed in Functions is the Secret Identifier and not other credentials that can be used to retrieve the secrets conventionally. You then can add relevant codes logging into AGOL in the functions. That's the safest I got. If they are scripts required to run on schedules, use Azure TimerTriggers. If the scripts needed to be initiated by Feature Class Edits or updates Httpriggers can be used.

0 Kudos