Select to view content in your preferred language

Conda in AGOL Notebooks

07-02-2020 02:06 AM
Labels (1)
TobiasWilde-Zahn2
New Contributor

Is it possible to install third party packages to AGOL Notebook standard env with conda? I try to install the uber h3-py package from conda-forge inside the AGOL notebook standard env. The installing prozess breaks when try solving the enviroment.

I use:

!conda install --yes -c conda-forge h3-py

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tobias,

I was able to get the above conda install command to run, but there are a couple things to note.

First, we are currently investigating an issue in which the Jupyter client disconnects from the backend when there is nothing happening inside the client for some time. This results in the error you mention above. To get around this I recommend including the three '-v' arguments to set the conda install to trace level verbosity. This will keep the connection with the backend alive and will allow you to install the package.

!conda install --yes -c conda-forge h3-py -v -v -v

Second, installing large packages takes quite a long time in ArcGIS Notebooks while locally they usually would not (For example, it took me 18 minutes to install h3-py). We are currently investigating why this is and apologize for the inconvenience. It's should be noted that this long install will need to be run each time you open a notebook for the first time that session, as we only keep your notebook environment alive for a short time while it's idle.

Below is a screenshot of the install process (including some logic to time the install) as well as some example use of the h3 package to show that it's functional.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Josh