Select to view content in your preferred language

Ways of measuring network improvements

Jump to solution
06-18-2019 12:05 AM
tcyd
by
Emerging Contributor

Hi, I am quite new to network analyst and would like to know a little bit about how to measure "improvements" of network changes. I have a set of road networks and some improvements are made to these networks, for example: reducing resistance of segments in network (e.g. increasing speed, and capacity). Say, a quicker and more direct route connecting A to B would have improvements on the network. Also, road widening on the existing networks could also improve itself.

My question would be, how to measure (maybe the percentage change) and quantify network improvements? For the type of improvement where new segments are introduced, I am thinking of an O-D cost matrix to measure the average time changed. However, I have no idea on how to quantify improvements of resistance reduction (e.g. capacity increment in segments).

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Network Analyst route solvers minimize cost attributes. So if changes to the network add new edges or change the travel time on the edges then you can run the OD to measure the before and after shortest path costs and compare. Network Analyst does not have notion of capacity on an edge, only cost to travel on it. For capacity, you will have to figure out the updated travel times on those edges and recompute the OD.

Jay Sandhu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Network Analyst route solvers minimize cost attributes. So if changes to the network add new edges or change the travel time on the edges then you can run the OD to measure the before and after shortest path costs and compare. Network Analyst does not have notion of capacity on an edge, only cost to travel on it. For capacity, you will have to figure out the updated travel times on those edges and recompute the OD.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos