VRP Multiple deliveries to one order

Jump to solution
02-01-2018 04:11 AM
KoenVeenenbos
New Contributor

Hello GeoNet,

I am working on a Vehicle Routing Problem (VRP), with network analyst in ArcGIS 10.5.1, for a number of depots and orders in the city Berlin (Germany). From the distribution centres (depots) trucks will supply supermarkets (orders).

The supermarkets have a specific number of tons they need to get delivered. This number is present in the attribute table. The number of tons differs between 11 and 106. The trucks have a capacity of 30 tons, which means that some supermarkets can be supply at once, but others need several truck loads.

My problem is that only supermarkets that ask for less than 30 tons are reached. All the supermarkets which require more than one delivery (more than 30 tons) are skipped by the trucks.

I already applied the route renewals to the trucks, so they are refilled after suppling a supermarket.

Does somebody know how I can let the truck also deliver to the supermarkets, which require more than 30 tons of goods?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
PaulMattern1
New Contributor II

There is a "Routes" setting that comes to mind that addresses this, I believe.

ARRIVE DEPART DELAY setting:

"This field stores the amount of travel time needed to accelerate the vehicle to normal travel speeds, decelerate it to a stop, and move it off and on the network (for example, in and out of parking). By including an ArriveDepartDelay value, the VRP solver is deterred from sending many routes to service physically coincident orders.

The cost for this property is incurred between visits to noncoincident orders, depots, and route renewals. For example, when a route starts from a depot and visits the first order, the total arrive/depart delay is added to the travel time. The same is true when traveling from the first order to the second order. If the second and third orders are coincident, the ArriveDepartDelay value is not added between them since the vehicle doesn't need to move. If the route travels to a route renewal, the value is added to the travel time again. Although a vehicle needs to slow down and stop for a break and accelerate afterwards, the VRP solver cannot add the ArriveDepartDelay value for breaks. This means that if a route leaves an order, stops for a break, and continues to the next order, the arrive/depart delay is added only once, not twice.

Say there are five coincident orders in a high-rise building, and they are serviced by three different routes. This means three arrive/depart delays would be incurred; that is, three drivers would need to find parking places and enter the same building. However, if the orders could be serviced by just one route instead, only one driver would need to park and enter the building—only one arrive/depart delay would be incurred. Since the VRP solver tries to minimize cost, it will try to limit the arrive/depart delays and thus choose the single-route option. (Note that multiple routes may need to be sent when other constraints—such as specialties, time windows, or capacities—require it.)

The unit for this field value is specified by the Time Field Units property of the analysis layer."