Use Traffic Light

05-13-2013 04:31 AM
CollinsNdjawa
New Contributor II
Hi all,
I'm working on a Road network and I have to introduce traffic Light. How can I use it, as an attribute of Road Network or as a table of points if it the case how it work as a table of points.

Thanks a lot for your answers.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
What role do you want the traffic light to play in the network? Are the traffic light points located on edges or at intersections?

Jay Sandhu
CollinsNdjawa
New Contributor II
Hi Jay,
Traffic light would be use as an inpendance to calculate time cost. And they are located both at intersections and junctions.
Thanks
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
If the points are exactly at the intersections/junctions, you can bring them as an additional feature source in your network dataset. And when you define the travel time attribute, you can bring in the impedance value from this traffic light (make sure it is in the same units as the travel times, e.g. minutes). This way any path going through that intersection will incur the delay from the traffic light.
If you want to see how to model more feature classes and setting up the impedance attribute for them, take a look at the Paris network dataset tutorial.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Exercise_2_Creating_a_multimodal_network_d...

ay Sandhu
bibijikemal
New Contributor

Thanks Jay Sandhu . the answer was very useful for me . I have a qustion about traffic light layer in the network dataset.

How can i create dynamic traffic light layer? I want to change the time of traffic light and use it dynamically in my dataset .

Thanks

0 Kudos
AbbyLittman
New Contributor

Hi Jay,

I've been referencing this post as I'm trying to figure out how to add time costs to traffic signals, stop signs, etc in my network dataset.  I'm calculating travel time in seconds and I have already implemented a script that does this.  Once my point data is in the network (it falls under "junctions" in the evaluators section) do you have any advice about how to add the actual time costs?

0 Kudos