Trying to find the shortest path between 2 points but keep getting error 030212

03-03-2022 10:07 AM
KrystinaHartwell1
New Contributor II

I apologize if this has been posted before but I couldn't find a question similar.

I've been attempting to utilize the Network Analyst tools in order to find the shortest path between 2 points. My first run with the tools, it calculated a path fine. I tried a second path, and it wouldn't show anything - but no errors. After trying to rerun, reimport start/end points, rerun the network dataset and everything in between, I couldn't get it to calculate a route. So I started from scratch. NOW I keep getting the 030212 error - Solve tool can't find a route, but there clearly is a path as it populated one before. I even tried moving the points closer together (like a few streets away close) and it still couldn't find a route. I don't know what I did, but I cannot fix this issue.

I'm using OSM roads (just primary, secondary, tertiary, and trunk types). I create the project file. I create a FDS project to WGS84 in the project's GDB. I add the OSM roads to the FDS. I create the network dataset in the FDS. I build the network of that network dataset. I've tried both importing points and creating features directly on to the map. I've tried every type of sequence. My Stops layer has both points, sequence numbers 1 and 2, source is the OSM roads, the RouteName is just 'Route' for points. The rest I've just left to what is auto generated. I make sure to save edits when I update the RouteName to 'Route' for both. I'm not using time and output geometry is Along Network. I don't need directions. Just very basic route from one point to another. Edges populate the exact same as the OSM roads. Junction FC has points in it. 

I just cannot figure out why it would not be able to find a solution. It worked once then stopped. What have I missed? I've probably just missed a step or something and am overlooking it because I've been trouble shooting for the last two days, but any and all help is truly appreciated. 

** Hope I provided enough information as to my process. I can't provide screen captures. **

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

It could be a data issue.

I am assuming you are using ArcGIS Pro. There is an explore network option that you can use to inspect your network data. So, add the network dataset to your map and make it the active layer, then use the network dataset layer data tab to select the Explore network and click on some edges in the map. Inspect the connectivity, cost attributes and restrictions to make sure the network is built correctly.

If that looks ok, then try the Service Area solver with the lines option to see if you are getting connected lines output from a starting facility location.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
KrystinaHartwell1
New Contributor II

I should've included that, yes ArcPro however I'm only on version 2.7.3 and the Explore Network option does not show up for me. Is this option only available for versions 2.8/2.9? 

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

The explore network was added in 2.8 

So you can try with the Service Area solver and do a 10 minute (or 10 Mile) service area with lines output. This should be a good way to know if you are getting connected lines coming back.

Also just to be sure, you are not adding the stop points as being part of the network dataset, right? Just the lines that come from OSM?

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
KrystinaHartwell1
New Contributor II

Right, stop points are not apart of the network dataset. It's definitely the data. Tried with another set of roads from a different source and it worked, so something with the OSM I'm using (it's been processed, so maybe something with that). I'll have to try out the raw OSM shp and see if the tool will run then. Thank you so much!

0 Kudos