Transportation Symbology

04-09-2012 09:09 AM
MaryM
by
Occasional Contributor
I have a dataset of am and pm road links.  By road links I mean lines that are individual objects with an A and B node like this road line is point a to point b, the next line is point b to point c.  Then, the nodes reverse for pm and go c to b, b to a and etc...  I need to have them show up offset from their locations due to at the map scale I need they show up one on top of the other.  They do not have a shared attribute like road name to connect them.  How can I get them to represent themselves apart from each other?  I do not have a matching road layer to the location of these road lines as the road lines I am using are an output of a travel model that are off from the actual road, I have nothing connecting the actual road to the travel model.  I am aware of the dissconnect issues with the travel model company and am dealing with those.  I have network analyst extension available if I need that.  I am looking for a simple solution because it is purely a display issue at this point.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
What license level are you using?  If you have ArcEditor or ArcInfo, you can look into using representations.  They are a way of symbolizing data like applying a buffer or offset without actually changing the geometry of the data.  Specifically, look into the Move or Offset effects.
0 Kudos
MaryM
by
Occasional Contributor
The issue is I do not have them labeled to all be of the same line.  I could use an offset but the issue is I could have all am and pm offset in the same direction or just offset the am but I am not sure which is which.  I want to I guess add an attribute so that a to b and b to c all have a similar attribute.  There are nodes that have an identifier which is a unique number that is what a or b or c is.  I need a way to link the lines together like a is going to b line and b is going to c line have to be put together somehow.  I have a series of lines with to/from but no route, I guess I need a route made.
0 Kudos