Solving multimodal routes

08-10-2010 02:39 AM
MartinaRagettli
New Contributor
Hi,
I am performing a ???find the best route analysis??? based on given stops and modes on a multimodal network data set (bus, tram, train, street). I plan to write a Python script, because I have a large number of stops and trips.
The routes that I want to solve often consist of more than 2 stops and of various modes. For example:

Stop 1 to Stop 2: mode: walking / network source: street / impedance: walking time
Stop 2 to stop 3: mode: bus ride / network source: bus network / impedance: bus driving time
Stop 3 to Stop 4: mode: walking / network source: street network / impedance: walking time

For this example:
a) Is there a way to define more than one impedance in a route layer? In the end, I would like to get the total time needed to travel from stop 1 to 4.
b) Is there a way to define the exact network element for a stop to be located when loading the locations (other than closest and first)?

Thank you for your help!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
You will have to do three solves with each solve setting the impedance attribute as you need and then sum up the distances from the three solves. One route solve can only honor one setting.

As far as loading locations, you have a lot more control besides the first and closest by using he build query option (right-click on one of the sources in the network locations tab to bring this up). You can read more about it here:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/What_are_network_analysis_objects/0047...

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
MartinaRagettli
New Contributor
Thanks for your answer!

I tried out the query builder. It only works when I want to avoid the locating of stops for example on a street with restrictions. But is is not possible to define the exact source (i.e. street, bus line, bus stop etc.) on which the stop should be located. I can build the query only based on the features of a specific network source. Do you agree? Do you know another solution?
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
On the network locations tab, you can un-check the sources that you do not want to locate on.
By default they are all checked on (except for the system junctions).

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
MartinaRagettli
New Contributor
Thanks! I noticed that. However, it is also not a solution for my problem (see example) since for stop 2 and 4 another network source has to be defined as for stop 2 and 3. I guess I need to locate and load the stops separately...
0 Kudos