Shortest route

03-24-2012 04:04 AM
anTonialcaraz
Occasional Contributor II
Hi there,

I would like to know if there is another way round to calculate the shortest route between two points (one shp file with two points) in a polyline network
without actually using Network Analyst (ArcInfo10).

Many thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ROMANFILOZOF
New Contributor III
Actually I don't see the reason to calculate the shortest route without using NA. If you have a network (built with NA as I understand) you should use it. Theoretically you can construct a model with Model Builder that can find the shortest route but it will be pretty complicated 🙂
0 Kudos
anTonialcaraz
Occasional Contributor II
Thanks Roman, I know it doesn't make much sense. Just to clarify, I got that question in a job interview. My answer was on the lines of using model builder, but I just wondered if it really was another way.

Cheers 😮
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
If the goal is to find a shortest path without any restrictions, turns, etc, you could build a geometric network and then use the utility network toolbar to find a path. Do note that the main purpose of this solver for trace tasks in the utility industry but it will get you a shortest path without using network analyst. More info here:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Finding_the_shortest_path/002r00000037...

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos