Shortest Route problem

11-11-2010 04:17 PM
PriyankaJain
New Contributor
Hello there,

When i try to solve the route for shortest route with about 487 locations. It solves about 25% and then the ArcMap shows NotResponding. I have geocoded all the addresses and all are located.
I am not sure what the problem is?

Just wanted to let you know that i have given the length(Distance) in meters and time in hours( which was calculated by dividing speed( miles/hr) by distance(distance)). Do you think it can be unit which is causing the problem?

I have attached the file.

Please help.

Priyanka
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Priyanka,

Looking at your mxd, you are not solving the simple route problem but the travelling salesman option by checking on the "Reorder stops to find Optimal Route". With 454 locations, it will take a while to optimize the sequence. I suggest you let it run. It may take about 5 minutes to solve.

One thing you can do to make sure that their are no network connectivity issues is to turn of the Reorder option and then solve to make sure a route can be found between all the points.

Another thing I will point out is that your stop locations seem to be every house address along many blocks of streets. Do note that if you are trying to solve a chinese postman problem (e.g. postal delivery or garbage pickup) you will probably not get the most optimal result using the travelling salesman problem solver provided by the route solver.

Regards,
Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
PriyankaJain
New Contributor
Thanks a lot. Its working now.

I think i need to solve it using Chinese postman algorithm. So should i use some other tool in arcgis?
What kind of difference it will make to use TSP instead.

Also, is it possible to add direction arrows to the route. I tried to add it in the Direction Window options but it doesn't show up.

Thanks,
Priyanka
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Priyanka,

Glad to know it is working. ArcGIS does not provide a chinese postman problem solver. Their are partners like RouteSmart that have high end solutions.

In ArcGIS 10, you can set the Stop property CurbApproach to "No U-Turn" and then set the Route layer property of U-Turns at Junctions to "Allowed only at Dead Ends" and then solve the TSP. It will give you a better solution.

As far as symbolizing the route, you can change the line shape to a cartographic line (e.g. the Highway red line) and then edit it's properties to offset the line a few points, add an arrow and edit those properties to repeate the line decorations many times to see arrows placed along the route.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
PriyankaJain
New Contributor
Thanks for your help.

I have another issue with addresses. I have geocoded the address and some houses are on left and some are on right of street but for some streets it's not able to detect which one are on which side.
what should i do because i need to pick always from the right side.

Thanks,
Priyanka
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Priyanka,

There is not much you can do at the solver level if the address location is not known. Perhaps you can try a different geocoder for those addresses to see if you can get better results. Else you will have to some how get that information and update the stop information by hand.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos